Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +25€

Current balance: -40€
(last updated 09/2020)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 46 users playing Freelancer on 44 servers.
September. 22, 2020

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

Adding Captions, Subtitles or Text in THN Intro Scripts
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this.

I am desperately trying to find a way to add captions/text to my intro animations (thn files).

The only thing I have found so far is adding some userprops attributes to the scene object - this being TextStart="<time to show>", TextMessage="<ID of text in DLL>"

Which is fine, it displays text top left (like when you enter a new system etc)

But it can only display one message, and I want to be able to do multiple messages.

Here's the thing, my intro animation shows all the ships in my mod, and as each one is brought into focus, I want to display the ship name.
Here's the video of the intro animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4LGiXk5xzo

I understand detailed information on all the capabilities and specifications for THN scripts for animations is rather sparse, but does anyone know any more than can be found in the 'starter' tutorials?

Posted on: 2015/7/6 11:29
Re: Adding Captions, Subtitles or Text in THN Intro Scripts
Home away from home
From Qld, Aus.
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Trusted Speciality Developers
Senior Members
It doesn't look like there's anything directly available, so I can only suggest a couple of things. You may be able to use the subtitles plugin to do it, although I believe atm it uses raw audio data, so you'd need to create unique files for each name; or you could use dummy models, using the texture for the name. The real shame is there is actually a SUBTITLE event, but the subtitle interface is not implemented.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 2:52
Re: Adding Captions, Subtitles or Text in THN Intro Scripts
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

adoxa wrote:
It doesn't look like there's anything directly available, so I can only suggest a couple of things. You may be able to use the subtitles plugin to do it, although I believe atm it uses raw audio data, so you'd need to create unique files for each name; or you could use dummy models, using the texture for the name. The real shame is there is actually a SUBTITLE event, but the subtitle interface is not implemented.

Cheers adoxa, it looks like dummy "panel" models and textures is the easiest way to get this done.

I did have a look at the subtitles plug-in, but it seems that would only work in-game and as you say is tied in to audio files being played.

It does seem a bit odd that the scenes scripting engine does not have the facility for subtitles and captions, but hey-ho, such is the way of things.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 11:01