Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -45€
(last updated 09/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 49 users playing Freelancer on 40 servers.
October. 17, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Best CPU and Hardware for Freelancer Server
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Thank you Korrd for your Discovery server specs, please see below...

Power chip - yeh, my finger was too fast, I meant to copy this one:-
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/bladece ... /servers/index.html#intel

Quote:

StarTrader, what's your point?

PS SCSI/SAS rules :p

I'm just being my usual grumpy, sarcastic and ludicrous self, 'cos I'm sorely offended by the comment on needing Octo-Terra-Gigeon cpu's and more than 1GB of RAM for an average FL Server server!!

Pure and absolute guff, something else is wrong in their case, not lack of processing power nor lack of RAM. What else is running on that server? Don't tell me, I don't care, just kill it. What else is on that disk, apart from Windows and your FL Server manager? Get rid of the excess. Is your disk all just one partition - all 'C:'? Fix it. Fragmented? Fix it. How fast is the measured ISP connection throughput, less than 1Mbit? You know what to do.

Gibbon my friend - your comment on "needing" higher res than 1024 x 768 for Freelancer - ye're daft, and got too much loose time and cash, mon!! Get yersen a family, or a used Porsche, or a Shaguar!! Or an expensive Girlfriend or Mistress pal!! Or even better - get ALL FOUR!! Look at what you've been missing in life until now!

The only FL server which may be justified in using a very powerful processor with vast amounts of RAM is Discovery, which I saw just now (to my great surprise!) actually did have 196 users connected out of 200 max users!!!

But - Look at Korrd's spec!! Just 2 cores, 4GHz, 2GB RAM!!! Well done guys. I rest my case!

An SSD? Yes maybe, for that server at today's prices, absolutely, but not necessary for everybody else with far less users. As Korrd says, look at his actual spec for 200 users - it's far lower!

Nobody setting up a typical (16-30 users) FL Server will use more than the capacity I mentioned initially, 800MHz single-cpu and 512 RAM is good, better is better of course but is NOT a necessity for a good start and so it should NOT be recommended as minimum by anyone, because anyone with less than that available will be put off. And anyway, who has more than 13 pals anyway? Huh??

Our mod runs on a commercial 1.6GHz single core with 512 RAM running Windows Server 2003, with around 12-16 users at times, with Ioncross, FL Shell, and with no problems and no lag. This is what I would call a typical FL Server load. Once, a long long time ago we had over 30 users at one time - for a couple of days only if I remember correctly, then we shot some!

We do have a 100Mb/sec connection to the ISP, and this is absolutely great and fantastic. But at least a 1Mbit link is essential for internet play. Obviously, a dial-up connection for the FL Server machine would be like... er... silly!

Big disks are taken for granted, and implied, and very cheap - 500GB / 7200rpm EIDE for $70?? !!! - but don't go mad, our server's disk is 37GB, (yes, thirty-seven!!) split into 3 partitions - 6GB for Windows, 6GB for the page file, and 25GB for our original file copies, and running FL Shell, Ioncross FL Server Op and FL Server. And don't go putting tens of thousands of files on any one disk, this will slow down read times. As for the rest I think I've already said it all, others here are misleading the unknowing others by implying or recommending higher performance as absolutely necessary - it's not, it's nice to have but not a necessity. Some have probably overcome problems by upgrading or replacing their machine that were not caused by the old machine's specs but by something else. Several times I have had performance issues on my work machines that were solved only by reloading Windows from scratch, for instance.

But - you have money to blow? Like I said, if you believe the silly advice that you need a very powerful multi-core setup with 9,000 Gigs of RAM and a RAID array for an average FL Server setup, then you might as well go for the $300,000+ IBM SAN setup I mentioned above. It's like using a 60,000-ton cargo ship to carry 16 x 50kilo bags of cement. But if you happen to have one lying around, go for it!

One more thing for you ugly lot to dispute - 400MBytes/second data transfer from mechanical disks is only possible on external RAID Storage arrays with QUAD (i.e. 4 x) 2Gbit / 4Gbit Fibre Channel links, and huge cache, and this is done by pre-reading data from multiple disk drives simultaneously, using multiple back-end paths, and "re-assembling" the data in the cache en route to the host. It's not achievable in single disk drives nor software RAID arrays as used in a PC. But it might be sometime soon!

But who cares, FL Server reads and writes small bursts of data, not huge streams.

So get real boys, add up the cost of what you are saying and realise you should not be recommending state-of-the-art where the average hobbyist wants to put up an FL Server for a few pals on an old PC that happens to be unused.

The point here is to get someone started, my view is to start at the practical low-end for a useful, working and sound setup, and by all means work up as and when needed. Duhhhhh!!!

Posted on: 2009/7/27 2:32
"C" for "Caterpillar"... "Cool"... "Cheesey"!

From Buenos Aires, Argentina
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Yes, it is overclocked. It is the only way we could reach the performance we required at an affordable price.
Also, why pay more for something you can get for free?

The only reason for us going ramdrive is to diminish the server startup time. It takes 15 minutes for the server to load at the moment. With a ramdrive, it only takes 60 seconds. A ramdrive would only accomplish that.

As said on this thread, RAID 0 won't do much good to FL because it increases disk latencies. That is not good because the higher the latency, the more time it takes for a file to be accessed.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 3:07
Home away from home
From Somewhere at Moscow
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Yes, it is overclocked. It is the only way we could reach the performance we required at an affordable price.
Also, why pay more for something you can get for free?

The only reason for us going ramdrive is to diminish the server startup time. It takes 15 minutes for the server to load at the moment. With a ramdrive, it only takes 60 seconds. A ramdrive would only accomplish that.

As said on this thread, RAID 0 won't do much good to FL because it increases disk latencies. That is not good because the higher the latency, the more time it takes for a file to be accessed.

Beer on saved money? X)
Thx for info of Raid 0. I will know now.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 8:41
Open Sirius Mod
Anonymous
Anonymous-Anonymous
Quote:

Gibbon my friend - your comment on "needing" higher res than 1024 x 768 for Freelancer - ye're daft, and got too much loose time and cash, mon!! Get yersen a family, or a used Porsche, or a Shaguar!! Or an expensive Girlfriend or Mistress pal!! Or even better - get ALL FOUR!! Look at what you've been missing in life until now!

I didn't actually say that. I was saying that i run X3 in higher resolutions because it looks better. Same with FL, it looks better in higher resolution, doesn't mean you can't use lower resolutions. As i said in my post, on the server it's irrelevant what video card you have, but for my gaming pleasure i like nice visuals and prefer the higher resolutions. Not about throwing money around either, i only have an nvdia 8800 so hardly top of the line lol. As to the other comments, almost have all those hehe. Don't forget i've worked for over 20yrs in the music business so not really missed anything at all

Posted on: 2009/7/27 9:21
Just can't stay away
From Russia, GMT+4
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Trusted Speciality Developers
Senior Members
As i said we have other stuff running - web, DB - and that's quite a lot. That's why we have server processors and ram.
So i don't undestand your irony, StarTrader. And i'm better out of this discussion -_-

Posted on: 2009/7/27 10:54
Starport Staff
From England
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Staff
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Sorry to bump an old topic. . .
But:
Quote:

Cannon wrote:
Once of the key performance problems we face is extremely long FLServer start up times about 13-15 mins if the o/s disk cache is flushed. This time is related to the number of players database which has around around 15 K character file. We're experimenting with moving to a RAM disk or possibly a SSD to try and reduce this time. The RAM disk allows us to start up in about 60 seconds so it appears to be worth it.

I would recommend a minimum 2 of RAM and an SSD to run the server or maybe 4 GB and run from a RAM disk.

WHAT?
I swear, Josh got the Discovery UK server up in 2.7 seconds the other day!
Now I just need to find those skype quotes. . .
EDIT:
[11/08/2009 17:27:30] Josh: Reboot.
[11/08/2009 17:27:34] Alex: WOW
[11/08/2009 17:27:36] Alex: QUICK!
[11/08/2009 17:28:21] Josh: Well, I didn't want it to take too long lol
[11/08/2009 17:28:30] Alex: lol
[11/08/2009 17:28:35] Alex: It was like 1 second!
[11/08/2009 17:28:36] Alex: :O
[11/08/2009 17:28:39] Alex: Alex is amazed.
[11/08/2009 17:29:00] Josh: Well, it took 2.7 actually.
He is going to kill me for quoting that now.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 16:59
Home away from home
From Somewhere at Moscow
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
2.7 sec with CDFull or CDLite?

Posted on: 2009/8/19 17:33
Open Sirius Mod
Starport Admin
From Germany
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
If everything is in RAM and you dont have a lot of charfiles, thats very possible yeah.

Try doing that with 66,011 char files though
With 66,011 and some modifications to the FLServer loading process we got down to less than 5 minute starting time.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 17:47
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Hehe, your gonna love this one, my server is running on a 1.8 ghz single core CELERON processor with 1 gig of memory. It takes about 2 minutes to start FL Server which is quite SLOW (10 secs on my old home system). Im running FL Shell, FL Hook and CD Lite at the same time. I get a ping of 15 from my house and Megalodon gets a ping of 145 from nearly halfway around the planet.

Nothing special here, this comp was given to me many years ago and works fine for what I need. It really boils down to how many players you want to support, a faster processor would be needed for high numbers but for those with 30 players or less, it's a bit of overkill.

Internet - 4.5 mb up/26 mb down dedicated

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:26
Galaxy Empire
Youtube Videos
Facebook
Anonymous
Anonymous-Anonymous
He gets a high ping anywhere, he's in alaska lol

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:18
Just can't stay away
From the Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Have tryed several connections. From experiencing now, the most important thing IS your connection.

You can play on the newest machine, that makes no sence if you have a bad line.

I start with an old machine, and end up with a new one. With the ADSL line 1/1mb is was still worse , but with the a 60/6mb connection, it runs like a sunshine

In the past ADSL 1/1mb and it was worse when it was busy.
And a good router will help a lot to.
So in fact, you don't need the newest machine. They are a nice future, and it looks better.
But the old ones are still fine to.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 10:19
Open in new window
~~My spells are dangerous~~

WTS for the Game. WTS for the World
Starport Admin
From The Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
Senior Members
PVP servers with a lot of players need good hardware on CPU fast memory and disks (unless you use a virtual memory disk) and a even better connection.

Imagine 25 players on the same system having a huge battle with battle ships (lots of turrets) missiles etc etc.
You will need to have a good upload line preferable a stable one ( 1:1 ) to process the constant data flow.

If you have a HUGE mod with countless of systems, little or no PVP but a lot of RP and trading the connection doesn't matter that much. The line and server get busy when a lot of people are in the same sight range and in the same system.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 10:37
Open in new window
Just can't stay away
From Russia, GMT+4
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Trusted Speciality Developers
Senior Members
Well, when players spread over many different systems with moderate to high npc activity, it tends to eat up all of your cpu as well

NPCs alone is very cpu consuming thing btw. Disabling npc spawns can decrease serverload twice and even more.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 20:02

Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
I can second Gibbon on the point with a good connection being vital. Primarily because many players encountered lag I moved Monkey Universe to a commercial root server over two years ago. Although it ran on a good cable connection it's not comparable with the latencies we have now as you can't get any closer to the big backbones than with a datacentre. Currently we run a 100Mbit symmetrical connection so transfer rates are no factor anymore.

The issue with memory was also a point why I moved on to a faster server recently. We use an Intel i5 quadcore with 6Gigs of RAM which kicks us to use a 64bit OS being Win 2008 Server R2. I would greatly appreciate anyone running either this system or something along this line to share his experience.
With 6Gigs we run always on the safe side avoiding even memory hungry Windows to access the page file and take the power down.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 21:17
Open in new window
Just popping in
From Leyland UK
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Tekagis runs on:

AMD 3gig dual core
4 gig ram
160 gig SATA II
Windows XP Pro Sp2

This unit is dedicated to FL only..

20 Mb down
1 Mb up

soon to change to a main backbone connection.

This runs 50 users with no problem and is probably a bit, way over the top for CPU Power..

No affinities are set, its just as it comes.

Rags

Posted on: 2010/1/1 21:52
Open in new window
« 1 2 (3) 4 »