Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 39

starworld, more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -45€
(last updated 09/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 39 users playing Freelancer on 40 servers.
October. 16, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

Overclocking & FL
Starport Admin
From Germany
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Hi,

recently, we overclocked our E8400 to 3.3 GHz and all went fine, except one thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3vVwHpT5R4

It seems like that overclocking messes up flserver internal performance timers that are used to simulate the player position, thus calculating false positions on the serverside.
This is critical to any PvP oriented server because this way, missiles will fly simply wrong from a player's perspective. Also, CMs and missiles are spawned at wrong positons, etc..

Btw.: The overclocking was done in Windows with a Gigabyte tool. If you overclock in the bios, this issue might not appear.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 17:40
Re: Overclocking & FL
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Interestiing, thanks for posting W0dk4.

I thought about overclocking once or twice, but the worry of "breaking" the server always stopped me from doing it.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 18:00
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Banned!
flserver.exe seems to have really crappy timers as there are tons of such problems meanwhile

Posted on: 2008/8/7 18:02
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Well we were running E8400 quite stable even at 4,5GHz but temperatures were going up to 60 in the peak times so we lowered it to current 4GHz to be sure. But no one noticed that yet, at least no one complained.

We'll test it.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:19
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
So your crashes aren't hardware related then Majkp?

Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:22
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Trusted Speciality Developers
So is it the overclocking itself or does this cause the dual core...
There are several problems with software that was designed under 32bit operating systems and should run under 64bit and/or dual core...

the internal timing seems to be quite different  on dual cores - dunno exactly but it has some effect

Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:24
Open in new window
Starport Admin
From Germany
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Quote:

There are several problems with software that was designed under 32bit operating systems and should run under 64bit and/or dual core...

the internal timing seems to be quite different  on dual cores - dunno exactly but it has some effect

We never ever had any problems with flserver due to using a dual core. I think if you got problems, then it may more likely be a operating system issue.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:28

From Buenos Aires, Argentina
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
So far, they don't seem to be hardware related. When we had the server running at 4.5, we had some stability problems. We lowered the OC to 4.05, and those problems vanished. After a while, the server begun to crash a lot again due to cheating (speedmod, wepmod, lootmod, etc). We begun to ban cheaters much more often than before, and with no warnings, and the server returned to stability.
Cheating seems to cause a lot of crashes. Every time we ban the new cheaters that arise (and the old ones, who have DSL and can change their IP's easily), the server stability improves again.

Could having a 64bit SO cause unstability?

Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:30
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
@Strail: I don't think so. Even at 4,5GHz it passed 12hour Orthos testing. As Korrd said, we seem to interest a lot of cheaters and people with no life, we used old FLHook version (with some unsesolved issues), we used IFSO to change char names (we stopped doing that), having daily up to 180 players also raises the chance of the poor hooked/cracked/modded flserver to crash, maybe the dual-core and/or 64bit OS, etc. Last 2 days our ISP was having some serious issues so we had to shut down the server completely today. It seems like an ISP disease as other servers had similar problems.

We're trying to improve it though. We didn't have so much crashes when we were a small community.

@w0dk4: I asked a few guys now and we seem not to have that problem. But as you said, we overclocked in BIOS. I have the rack in the basement of our house not hosted somewhere so it's easy to access.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:49
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah sometimes I think that the whole thing is holding together with luck and sticky tape. I hope you get it sorted out ok

Posted on: 2008/8/7 20:08
Starport Admin
From The Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
Senior Members
Quote:

Quote:

We never ever had any problems with flserver due to using a dual core. I think if you got problems, then it may more likely be a operating system issue.

Server 2003 64 bit would run fine with Freelancer server. I doubt if WinXP 64 bit would do so.
Dual cores aren't much of a problem. But Hyperthreading is, you get the same results on a 64 bit enviroment as you had on that movie.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 11:56
Open in new window
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Banned!
running FLserver on 2 cores did lead to heavy problems such as missiles not tracking anymore and even crashes for my server running win2003

Posted on: 2008/8/8 13:26