Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +0€

Current balance: 55€
(last updated 04/2021)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 33 users playing Freelancer on 36 servers.
May. 10, 2021

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

(1) 2 »

[WIP] Ale Effect Editor
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Trusted Speciality Developers
Senior Members
Hello all!
Since we had already posted some information in this topic, I decided to make a small video to show that we are still working on it. It can be found here.

Note that the editor where you can change all the emitter/particle/field values is still not finished and the table will be replaced. But you can already work with it and some live editing is possible. Also saving and loading the ale file into Freelancer is possible.

There are still some things to be finished before we can release, though. So don't expect a release to soon.

If you have any questions, suggestions etc. feel free to post them here!

Also here is an image from the other thread:
Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/4/21 15:41
Re: [WIP] Ale Effect Editor
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Damn if only I could implement an ALE renderer like that

Posted on: 2016/4/21 16:19
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
I've been thinking: For the time being you could use a different (already finished, if there is one) particle system for your FL clone and when it has matured enough you could include our renderer / ale loader via dll. This would be when the game is basically playable (including (basic?) AI and network, maybe uses the open fl server we also have). I would write a c interface which you should be able to use. The renderer uses OpenGl 3.3 with instancing so it already is optimized. I am also thinking about a non instanced mode for older graphics cards, but for now it is mandatory.

It would be nice to have a working FL clone, so go on doing what you have been doing

Posted on: 2016/4/21 17:15
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Well hey if I can get that renderer compiled on multiple OSs and not have it trample my GL state, it'd be great

Posted on: 2016/4/21 20:38
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
I can precompile it for you. It's written with freepascal / lazarus so it is not really os dependent. Please understand that we don't plan to release the source as we would gain no benefit from it.

As for the states: You would have to set your vertex attrib arrays again and the blending modes. That should be all (at least at the current state). And of course different shaders are used.

Posted on: 2016/4/21 20:53
Starport Admin
From Germany
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Quote:
Please understand that we don't plan to release the source as we would gain no benefit from it.

What benefit do you get from not releasing it?

Anyways, great work, looks amazing!

Posted on: 2016/4/21 23:33
aka chaosgrid
http://www.freelancerserver.de
https://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Thanks!

The main benefit is not having to worry about releasing the code Meaning license, clean up and copyright stuff (since this would require our real names, which we are not really fond of to publish - and without them we would not be the authors since everyone can claim a nickname).

Basically from our point of view it would mean to invest more time which can better be spent implementing more things.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 19:10
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Being a mainly linux user and open source developer my opinion here maybe biased but....

Everything I've ever written and released (not just FL but other projects) I've never once felt the need to use my real name, and used the GNU/GPL license.

You dont need to actually have a copyright registered, in fact most open source projects dont (since their written by multiple random collections of people). Firefox is one such project, only the name is a registered trademark.

If your worried you might have to legally prove authorship one day theres lots of ways to do so, one simple way would be archive multiple copies of the source to several major email providers before the release date, its hard to fake those timestamps.

The real advantage of releasing the code comes when you've decided to move onto other projects, the community can update it or fix bugs, and interested people can also help with the code cleanup if thats needed.

Which ever route you decide on though, open or closed, I'm eagerly awaiting the release it looks great!

Posted on: 2016/4/23 15:22
Tekagi's Treasure Mod
perl -e 'print join("",(a .. z," " )[9,20,18,19,26,0,13,14,19,7,4,17,26,15,4,17,11,26,7,0,2,10,4,17])'
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Thanks! And also thanks for the advice. In case we don't decide to develop it any further making it open source is definitely very likely to happen. But for the time being we like to finish what we can do first. Maybe you can give us some further advice when the time comes, that would be very helpful.

Posted on: 2016/4/24 11:02
Not too shy to talk
From Madison, MS
Group:
Registered Users
I'll beta test what you compiled already, PM me a dropbox link, I'll let you in on some bugs, crash-inducing or otherwise.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 17:26
I'm gonna' be all over ya like shingles!
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Sorry, at the moment we know most of the bugs. When the time is right there will be a beta for everyone.

Currently I am working on this project again anyway, so only some progress has been made.

Posted on: 2016/8/28 1:42
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Schmackbolzen, any update? I know your working on your opengl, just wondering if this has been put on back burner for now? I am still looking to test this out

Posted on: 2017/4/4 18:28
Just can't stay away
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Actually it is mostly my fault. Recently I am playing too many other games and am busy with university stuff. And since I'm pretty much responsible for the UI, I delay it by not being motivated at all to work on it.

Posted on: 2017/4/4 21:28
How to create .SUR files - Tutorial
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Understandable, I've been alpha cloning on Eve lol. I don't find it as pop in and have fun like freelancer. I hope you do find some motivation for this, as like I said I'm looking forward to it. If you need testers for it, I will give it some testing.

Posted on: 2017/4/4 21:48
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
I have been working from time to time on the particle system and even recently solved our GUI problem by using html for all the dynamically generated inputs (Lazarus has a really nice component for this), but as Skotty pointed out I was not able to motivate him using it.

The last thing I started working on was cleaning the code up and optimize it using Data Oriented Design, so that it gets faster by being more cache friendly (although we already can simulate more than 10000 particles without problems).

There still is a problem with multiple fields behaving not the same like in FL. Beams need to be rendered different, so that they look similar. Also there are values which are not supported yet. But the really tough things are done I think.

Currently I am writing the normal, tangent and binormal calculation algorithm for the OpenGL project, so as you already pointed out I am still more focused on getting that project done.

Posted on: 2017/4/4 22:06
(1) 2 »