Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
16 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 16

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -65€
(last updated 10/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 49 users playing Freelancer on 41 servers.
November. 18, 2019
The Starport Forum Index > All Posts (Pascal05)

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Freelancer wont start on windows 10
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey,

I have looked into the problem of the horizontal stretch, and have found it to be even more perplexing. I took some screenshots so I could post them, but when I looked at them, they were normal. I have the same video driver that I have been using since this laptop came out (2006), and have seen no other aberrations with anything else.

As a side note, there are also strange jumps in the screen, like when something produces a static interference. In one screen, I was able to see that the screen itself was doing something like a phase shift. I tried to use the fix for the MS15-097 update, which suggests turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver. That had no effect. Not surprising though, it is mainly for if the game will not run. I had the problem with Age Of Mythology, which I still sometimes play.

Because all of this is new, I am suspecting it might still be related to an update breaking something. I have kept the Windows 10 updates from installing, as they do not update anything except make your computer vulnerable to being invaded by Windows 10. I am thinking of just doing a flat install of Vista and keeping the computer segregated from the internet.

As always,
Pascal05

Posted on: 2016/6/29 19:24
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey,
With the push for Windows 10, the new updates seem to be breaking a load of stuff on both my laptops. I finally decided to use the No-CD version, but it seems to have a slight horizontal stretch to it. In space, it isn't as apparent, but the map is no longer square. Other than that, I tried everything that used to work, running as administrator, resetting the display, disabling desktop composition, but the CD still failed to start. Microsoft seems to be pushing everything to Win10 and XBox.
Pascal

Posted on: 2016/6/14 19:16
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Alternate fonts
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey,
I use Font Lab for Windows. It's an older program, and it won't work in 64-bit systems, but it may if you do some playing around.

You can scan a font-sheet and import the graphics as a template for each character. The program uses vector graphics, so you can really fine tune each character. I have made some very complex fonts with the program, using calligraphic type letters. Your saves are in a FLW format, but it will then allow you to convert them to TTF or Post Script, and a couple other formats.

There are also some effects that can be applied, such as mirror, negative, sizing, and more. I used to do a lot of document creation, and having a strong font program pays off. FLW will let you import any TTF or Post Script font and make changes to it. You do have to be careful, many fonts have copyrights.

Pascal

Posted on: 2016/4/1 17:55
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Re: Re: Freelancer and Windows 10
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

As jcdenton2k has pointed out, Win-10 is full of surprises. If there was an award for most problem ridden software, Microsoft would have to take first prize. Frankly, I cannot tell the real difference between Win-7 or Vista. I have two laptops, each running both systems. When Gates was running MS, his big goal was to make Windows an AI operating system, to make computing a joy for the user. I am still waiting for Windows to have the least amount of intelligence.

There is also one piece of information I feel needs sharing. Since the release of Win-10, both of my computers have had failures in doing updates. Coincidence, maybe, but I am one that does not believe in that. I love to read about conspiracy theories, but as it is said, a good conspiracy cannot be proven. So we have to ask ourselves, "After all the years of overpriced software from Microsoft, why is Win-10 suddenly free"? The answer, odd as it seems, is Google. Yes Microsoft is now into the same game, gathering data on each user, to sell advertising (BING!).

As I know this thread is certainly off topic, I will close. And as jcdenton2k is probably thinking, we should avoid Windows advice from MS software peddlers. And note, with Win-10, FreeLancer may suddenly stop working, if MS deems it . I hope Ubantu gets to start working, soon.

Pascal05

Posted on: 2016/3/10 21:00
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Greetings And a Question
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all,
Had to look again, I don't know why I said control, when I meant shift. So just take it from there. I have never missed, yet beating Hovis.
Pascal

Posted on: 2015/12/29 19:20
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Freestalker.fr,
I made sure, and looked it up in the manual, before I posted.
I always strive to be accurate.
Pascal

Posted on: 2015/12/29 11:50
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey,
You can either practice the run before you board the "Hood", or just keep reloading from the autosave. What is important to remember in Mission 06, is that both ships have the same speed. So when Hovis is counting down, keep the cursor on the checkbox. Timing is somewhat important, but when you click the box, use the keyboard shortcut to start your cruise engine (Control-W). As you are accelerating, press the spacebar to release the navigation lock. As you aim for each ring, ALWAYS go to the center of the ring. Even though there is no bumping, Hovis will bump you, but it does not count. Usually toward the mid-point, he will bump himself into the second place position. Just always be aware of where the next ring will be, and you can sail through the finish line.

Don't use the "easy way", you will never be a top-notch pilot, by giving yourself shortcuts.

Pascal

Posted on: 2015/12/27 18:49
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Can this be done? Start the story mode with any ship and equipment and money?
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
TwoCables

Its been a while since I did this, but I was never satisfied with what the game gives for rewards. I built my mod to essentially play the vanilla game, with benefits. I modified the Starflier to reflect what an orgamization like LSF should give to a pilot, I gave the Starflier access to the cruise disrupter mount, that is already there, just not active. I increased the nanobot and battery capacity,v because they are worth $200, not because you need them. I actually did a lot of little thing to just make the game fair, money-wise. To me, "Free" Lancer was all about me paying to fight for someone else, not very fair. I don't mind earning my keep, but Juni has you working for nothing.

I modified the Starflier through loadouts.ini and shipsarch.ini. You can use the Microsoft Notepad, or any text editor. I use
FreeLancer INI Edotor to view the files, because it also provides a kind of index of the file structure.. To modify the loadout, you have to find your ship, which is the very first section, called nickname = msn_playerloadout. Here you can place all the equipment you need into here. Now, if you want your ship to look like your choice, you also have to alter the following section called nickname = msn_playerloadout_faux, otherwise when you meet King, your ship will look like the stock Starflier.

If you change the nanobots and shield battery count use the shiparch.ini.

In all of this, you will need the codes for each piece of equipment. If you are familiar with the old IONCross Ship Editor, the code are in the text data files. There are a lot of them.

Pascal05

Posted on: 2015/11/13 23:34
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Frozen/stuck enemies. Is this a bug?
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey,
I have seen this a few times, I figured it was just some type of stack overrun, which causes process hiccups.

Pascal05

Posted on: 2015/11/13 22:18
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Windows 10 Discussion
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all,
Keep in mind Microsoft is not providing any backward support for compatibility in their new Win 10. Next year, if you did all your updates, you will be forced into a Win 10 upgrade, without your permission, or approval. It is a sad time to us all, but MS has to be number one.

Pascal05

Posted on: 2015/11/13 22:15
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Where's the Rheinland Military?
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Hey,
All you have to do is attack Battleship Westfalen or any object associated to the particular group you want to offend. This also works when you don't want to make them enemies, by hitting them with friendly fire, if there is such a thing. It would be great if the game incorporated a "sorry!" button.

Posted on: 2015/11/13 22:10
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
There can be a number of reasons for FreeLancer not to start.

1. Set the startup to run the program as administrator. You should probably install the same way.

2. Look at your updates and see if KB3086255 was installed. This update prevents some games from running. Use the MS knowledgebase to find [MS15-097 Description of the security update-151008], it explains how to tweak the registry to put the service on manual. That allows many games to run.

Be very careful doing anything with the registry, but I am sure you have heard that. In that article, Microsoft has instructions on how to backup the registry.

Microsoft seems to be breaking things, instead of making their OS compatible with anything older.

Pasca;05

Posted on: 2015/10/13 7:18
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Freelancer won't start
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
@Friendly Fire,

Many times you have jumped in, on behalf of Microsoft. Microsoft is not the all-seeing benevolent company they pretend to be. It is the main reason hackers began going after them. Many updates are badly made. They fail to do what was intended. Which always puts us, the consumer, on the road to hell. Many updates which come out are not meant for everyone. This is why they have the description page to tell you what it does. I read these and I make decisions as to what my computer is going to receive. I used to be a Microsoft Partner, and system builder. I do understand the update practice. I just refuse to be blind-sided by the Microsoft error system. So yes, sometimes you need to hide updates.

Pascal05

Posted on: 2015/10/2 14:58
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Freelancer won't start
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
To All,
I read the description, through the link, and it looks like another back-door for Microsoft to freely install Windows 8.1 over whatever you are using. I remember before they released 8.1, they were putting updates out which put the updater into the users tray. I "hid" those updates, because I would not use 8.1 on a bet. I had to work on a friend's computer, which was really fouled up from the install. How the mighty have fallen!

Pascal05

Posted on: 2015/9/30 21:41
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Re: Cloaking in SP
Not too shy to talk
From Lorain, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Happy New Year All,
When StarLancer was out, I seem to remember cloaks. So the fact that FreeLancer is a continuation of that story, the entire Sirius systems should know of cloaks. Liberty had experimented with the technology.
I support cloaking technology, but also believe it has limitations and weaknesses. For example, the Klingon or Romulan ships can't fire while cloaked. Also, there exist ways to detect cloaked ships.
Anyway, I have heard Adoxa specifically say he won't work on it. His comment in this article does make me wonder about the FreeLancer coding. Does the games support it? Or is it just cut-scene gibberish to bolster a weak storyline? If the game does not support cloaking is some type of scanner interference possible?
My approach to playing FreeLancer is essentially purist, in that I see the way ships progress through the game play. Start with weak ships and work your way up. That requires a better degree of skill. This is why even in my own little mod I use to play, I just teak a few things that don't make much sense. My initial example is that I give Trent a fully equipped Starflier. I keep the games locks on gates and jump holes, but they are visible on the map. My thinking is why have a guy fight for you and disadvantage them from the start. Obviously a good pilot can make due, but it makes no sense. Imagine flying an F-16 with just machine guns. Another thing I do is place the entire universe in the map. Here on earth, I can buy a map to anywhere long before I go there. An the very best argument is that Trent has flown Bretonia and why should he go exploring?
Anyway, cloaks don't exist so I make do with skill, just as if my cloak were damaged. But it is a curiosity.

Again, Happy New Year,
Pascal05

Posted on: 2015/1/1 4:50
L Chandler 3
Topic | Forum

Top Top
(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]