Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +30€

Current balance: -190€
(last updated 04/2017)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 121 users playing Freelancer on 43 servers.
September. 24, 2017
The Starport Forum Index > All Posts (Bolte)

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers mod wanted
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
If this hasn't been done already the model is available from here guys:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1540625

I am sure someone could convert it for you.
Once someone has done that I am sure you will be able to mod it into the game.

As for the main gun, with some ALE effects and a beam like gun, shouldn't be too hard to create.

Just popping in my bit, I'm currently busy with other projects.

Posted on: 9/10 18:16
Topic | Forum

Re: Freelancer on VirtualBox
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Solution will be to trigger a UAC prompt with this command

"dism /Online /enable-feature /all /FeatureName:"DirectPlay" /NoRestart"

But have yet to test.
I will fire up a VM later.

Posted on: 9/3 10:39
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
And all of the malware these days targets the user, not UAC.

"One important thing to know is that UAC is not a security boundary. UAC helps people be more secure, but it is not a cure all. UAC helps most by being the prompt before software is installed. This part of UAC is in full force when the “Notify me only when…” setting is used. UAC also prompts for other system wide changes that require administrator privileges which, considered in the abstract, would seem to be an effective counter-measure to malware after it is running, but the practical experience is that its effect is limited. For example, clever malware will avoid operations that require elevation. There are other human behavior factors which were discussed in our earlier blog posts (post #1 and post #2)."

From a microsoft blog ^^
Anti-Malware programs are the first line of defence, not UAC, as they are frequently updated with definitions.

Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/e7/2009/02/05/update-on-uac/

The idea of UAC is sound, it didn't turn out that way in practicality, because of the users. But that's another story and irrelevant now.

Posted on: 9/3 10:11
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
That's what I needed to know, thanks, now I can see if the launcher can detect if DirectPlay is enabled and if not attempt to activate it if possible, as part of the wrapper program that installs the fonts etc.

Posted on: 9/3 9:49
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
That's you, but we are dealing with something relating to his PC, as the game runs virtually - it's mere experimentation.

And, I have run without UAC since it was invented, and I have never had a single problem because of it. I know what I am doing when browsing the web sir, but I know not everyone does, I merely suggested it as a troubleshooting step, just to rule it out.

UAC is NOT a security boundary, it was invented to allow for de-elavated permissions in certain scenarios. Internet Explorer protected mode for example, some protected modes in Microsoft Office for example.

Most programs have gone past UAC now, flash player for example will still prompt to be run in modern browsers, back in the day with UAC off this would have run without prompt.

These days it is superfluous due to downloads being marked in a certain way as to not be trusted by default. It is mere inconvenience these days.

Posted on: 9/2 21:27
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bolte. wrote:
switch account control to off as a test

I believe I did not tell him to turn it off forever, he is even free to try this in safe mode if he wishes.

Posted on: 9/2 21:11
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm.

Have you tried turning user account control to off as a test and re-running the install/launching the game?

The fact that you can run it in a VM fine and not in your native system implies the difference is the particular hardware/driver software. As otherwise it would fail as there is no difference in the software being installed.

Its why I asked you to try it.

Posted on: 9/2 20:23
Topic | Forum

Re: Dev's Limit Breaking 101 Techniques
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
I'm probably doing this wrong but I am trying to add the FPS limit via the hack.

I went to the part 1 offset and changed 200 to 60 (I guess I am misunderstanding this part).
I went to the offset and changed the values as described in part 2.

I loaded up fraps for it's overlay and it shows a fluctuating range up to around 170s range.

Am I doing this wrong?
Should the max FPS now be 60?

Posted on: 9/1 16:11
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
PCH is referring to platform controller hub, relating to your intel motherboard chipset most likely, and ntdll is an important Windows file.

Are you running the game as admin?
Do you have antivirus running?
Have you installed the latest drivers or are you running from standard Windows 10 reference drivers?
Have you completely re-installed Freelancer?

Also can you open the event viewer and go into application logs and find the entry that corresponds?

Additional thought, try booting w10 into safe mode and see if FL runs or still has the crash.

Another additional thought, try going into freelancer.ini and commenting out the movie references, incase its anything to do with bink codec.

Other than that, try a w10 virtualbox and see if it runs, if it does, its likely something specific to your machine, as virtualbox virtualises all hardware.

Posted on: 9/1 7:35

Edited by Bolte on 2017/9/1 7:42:38
Edited by Bolte on 2017/9/1 7:55:34
Edited by Bolte on 2017/9/1 7:57:02
Edited by Bolte on 2017/9/1 8:05:32
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Some of the errors appear to be in french that resemble language errors or some such, maybe its an issue with language region perameters? Maybe try installing an english language to the Windows install if you don't have one. Or maybe USA english, as that's what I seem to remember the game using.

Posted on: 8/31 20:15
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
AFAIK, indeed, FL works on Windows 10 just fine with the NO-CD patch. What in particular was not working for you?

Posted on: 8/31 7:37
Topic | Forum

Freelancer Portable Launcher
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
So I just created a github repository with a readme that outlines my plans for this.

https://github.com/Bolteio/FPL

At this point it is indeed rather bare looking and empty. I just put the empty version up for now, I am still working on features and layout a little. I need to do the configuration screen setup and I will push that to the repository when I can.

Open in new window

I would like some opinions and comments of the intended features of this, any thoughts about issues and problems. If you want to contribute at all I am sure I can find you something to do, with any level of the plans for this.

My motivation behind this is personal and professional. Personal as it is a game I love, and professional as I want to get into web applications and this is excellent portfolio material.

Anything that takes your fancy you can take a stab at. Or not, I'd appreciate the help but there will not be any pressure from me.

If you just want to come and chat about it, I am available in the Discord chat linked at the top right of the repository page. I'd appreciate any insights you might have.

Thanks all!

Posted on: 8/21 20:59
Topic | Forum

Re: Freelancer soundtrack remaster.
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
But personally, I like Schmackbolzens versions. The ones from #24 really highlight some underscores I hadn't really noticed before because of the quality I've heard them at.

For instance in the Kusari one there's some sounds I hadn't realised were there because they were very clean and the sounds were highlighted more if that makes sense.

That's what I want to see (or rather hear) from this.

Not that I'm saying what you are doing is bad my friend.

Posted on: 8/16 20:52
Topic | Forum

Re: Freelancer soundtrack remaster.
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
When you guys come up with a finished touched up remaster, that is complete. I will put them into a patch. That is if you want.

Since I'm putting together one complete patch to fix the common problems folk have running the game to bring the source up to date, instead of bits scattered around the web.

It'll have a complete launcher with auto-update capability for the main source data files and for mods.

It'll be put into a git source on a repo for everyone to have a go at forking. Every pull request to update the source will go through voting process until there is a majority, only then will it be accepted into the source.

So basically everyone will get their chance to put their mark into Freelancer.

Posted on: 8/16 20:46
Topic | Forum

Re: Windows 7 64-bit Freeze/Hang
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not convinced it's my card. Overwatch at 300 or so fps at ultra pushes my card to 80 degrees, at 94-96% load. It's pushing my card way more than FL is, and no TDRs. I don't know what it is.

Posted on: 8/15 22:12
Topic | Forum

Top Top
(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]