Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
34 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -45€
(last updated 09/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 33 users playing Freelancer on 40 servers.
October. 17, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

(1) 2 »

Violating EULA's
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
I just put out my mod about 2 weeks ago (I havent advertised it yet... other than ModDb) but I found it increasingly annoying that people have been cracking the mod apart and using the stuff in there for their mods. One even called me out for copyright infringement (for using a certain procedural plugin) in Photoshop (and yes I bought it), for using vanilla music lol, and for using a video for the aborted FL2 project.

4. No Disassembly. You may not Disassemble the Software unless Roy Griffin's prior written consent is obtained. “Disassemble” includes modifying in any way that may include disassembling, decompiling, decrypting, editing, removing or adding, and reverse engineering.

Means exactly that... if you want something ask... dont rip it apart and cherry pick. [/rant]

Forsaken

Posted on: 2008/8/24 2:11
Open in new window
Re: Violating EULA's
Starport Admin
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
$$$ Supporters $$$
Can you provide a list of names perhaps? This is matter that does need dealing with. could help point out continus offenders?

just a thought

Posted on: 2008/8/24 5:01
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
I feel like this is more of a general message to anybody who'd be tempted to do such thing... I doubt there would be repeated offenders just yet.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 5:05
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Yeah I'd rather not name any individuals. Just to keep the peace among the server admin group and within the community as a whole. I just posted it in case people who were peeking would think twice.

P.S. Sushi, this wasnt directed at you... you asked for permission, sorta lol its all good tho.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 5:10
Open in new window
Starport Admin
From http://www.freeworlds-tow.net/dev
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
$$$ Supporters $$$
Oh jesus, I got worried. I sent you a PM as soon as I read the initial post. You have my word if you, and your Dev team, do not wish us for use your fantastic work, I won't. But, as I said, if you do decide to, I am going to place credits in our readme and links to your site on Mod DB and forums. Not to mention, as I was saying before, give you anything that you see interesting and want for your mod from us.

I will not steal anyone's work, that's not cool, on any accounts. What I am hoping for is a mutual understanding between all Mod Developers of sharing great work for other mods to profit from as long as there is permission and accreditation to the original author. Sharing leaps in FL development is critical, at least to me, to the longevity of this game and community.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 18:27
Open in new window
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Sushi, its alright... the post wasn't about you. We are cool man.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 1:44
Open in new window
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Quote:

I just put out my mod about 2 weeks ago (I havent advertised it yet... other than ModDb) but I found it increasingly annoying that people have been cracking the mod apart and using the stuff in there for their mods. One even called me out for copyright infringement (for using a certain procedural plugin) in Photoshop (and yes I bought it), for using vanilla music lol, and for using a video for the aborted FL2 project.

4.  No Disassembly.  You may not Disassemble the Software unless Roy Griffin's prior written consent is obtained. “Disassemble” includes modifying in any way that may include disassembling, decompiling, decrypting, editing, removing or adding, and reverse engineering.

Means exactly that... if you want something ask... dont rip it apart and cherry pick. [/rant]

Forsaken

I find it distinctly ironic that people want others to adhere to their own self imposed EULA's and get arsey when they don't, when they pay such little regard to Microsoft's own EULA that accompanies the game...

If you're not willing to back a EULA with a lawyer, then don't waste time putting it in. Just politely request and hope for the best.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 23:12
Starport Admin
From http://www.freeworlds-tow.net/dev
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
$$$ Supporters $$$
Eh, it doesn't hurt to put that in. If everyone did adhere to MS's EULA, we wouldn't have any mods around and this community wouldn't be here today. I can't blame anyone who have spent countless hours coding things by themselves, or a small group, for wanting permission from other modders to use their work. It's extremely rude and disrespectful to rip someones work off without asking for the rights to it or pawning it off as your own.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 23:27
Open in new window
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Thanks for the productive post Chips. : Everyone here has broken Microsofts EULA.

There is alot being left out of the story for certain reasons, reasons enough to make anyone here "arsey". We as server admin and modders should respect each others work. For example, I have a copy of FL-WT on my harddrive. FriendlyFire and Cheese have done stuff with their mod that I'd like to implement in my mod, but I have not peeked into their files to see exactly what they done... out of respect, and I believe they do have a right to uniqueness. If I wanted something, or if they done something beyond my skill level.. I'd have the common courtesy to ask them before peeking. If they didn't wish to divulge, I'd be up to me to figure out the rest.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 1:39
Open in new window
Anonymous
Anonymous-Anonymous
@ Sushi

You can't really put a custom EULA in as it doesn't cover you for squat. As already mentioned nearly all the modders here on SP, me included have violated the EULA in one form or another. The only reason, or one of them anyway why M$ doesn't come down on us, is we give our stuff away for free and don't charge for it. Therein lies the problem as well.

If some other modding team/person comes along and takes something out of a particular mod and claims it as their work, apart from a major flame campaign on various forums and pm's, there's not a lot that can be done tbh. Unless it's copyrighted music of course and you're a member of one of the major organisations, then you can do something about it, but nothing like that exists for modders, we're on our own.

Forsaken said that a mention in a mod if something is borrowed is at least a courtesy that is the bare minimum in my eyes as well. If the person involved for the ship/effect/base/whatever cannot be contacted for whatever reason, then obviously two options are available, either don't use the model or use it but mention the author. Nothing else is acceptable.

Sticking in a custom EULA doesn't help at all as it has no legal grounds whatsoever. If M$ decided they wanted to release a popular mod and call it Freelancer 2, because it's using their base code, there is nothing anyone could do about it. You'd have to just bite the bullet. I for one try and respect others work as much as possible, as i know most people on this forum do which is why we all get along. Asking for permission is the right thing, dare i say the only course of action open to people here and as far as i know we all stick to this, its what's called a "gentlemens agreement" but that is all it ever can be.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 8:09
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Have to agree with the above if you at least make an attempt and ask the respective creators for permission to use their work, you should do that.

I have done this as common courtesy when setting about on some of the modding projects I have done before.

But if you consider the original game .ini files were encoded, and all the content such as the models and effects were developed in a format exclusive to FL and it's creator, shouldn't we just all admit any modding done to FL since it's release has been against the creators wishes anyway? It's not like DA or MS ever publicly announced to everyone 'Yea go ahead and mod our game why don't you...'

I'm pretty sure hardly anyone here (if anyone!) has actually sent an email or written letter to MS asking to modify Freelancer for use in their own version of the game. But if you have raise your hand, and I apologise...!

Posted on: 2008/8/26 13:18
Starport Admin
From The Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
Senior Members
Well,

Considering the fact that MS hosted a site dedicated to modding / distributing modding and hacks for Freelancer / Starlancer makes their EULA worthless as well. They allow this now for several years and by the looks of it they consider FL as end of life.
However, when buying the game Freelancer and installing it you automaticly accepted MS's EULA wich basicly means you can't alter or distribute content of the game.

Considering that FL is basicly a "loose" game now means that content implemented like GFX and Music with a signature should be protected, but good luck when trying to get that removed from a mod, will cost you loads of resources. Inserting a own EULA won't protect you. FL is not opensource so there isn't an option to implement GPL licenses.

The only thing left is a gentlement agreement between modders, and I think all should accept that.
Don't use anything without crediting the original developer/modder and if it is possible contact them to ask for permissions.

Other way is to use some sort of encryption with a own signature like FL used but than a persnonalized signature.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 13:39
Open in new window
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Yep very true. There is nothing much anyone can do to prevent their new mod content being ripped off. Good luck and good effort on anyone who can encode and protect their files differently and get them working on the original game.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 13:56
Starport Admin
From Germany
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
I havent heard of a single, successful mod in the public (!) FL community that had "stolen" content from other mods in it.

Therefore, I really dont get why we always hear those "legal statements". Fact is: You cannot do anything about it, and the ones stealing your work in "underground" mods wouldnt read it anyways.

If parts of your mod get stolen for some small, not really advertised server mods, who cares? If that is happening, the chances are already very high that your work is pretty known in the community - that should do your ego enough!

no offense even if it sounds a little harsh

Posted on: 2008/8/26 15:24
Anonymous
Anonymous-Anonymous
Here's a little something that might help the situation and make us all feel a little better

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/developer/rules.htm

Posted on: 2008/8/26 17:41
(1) 2 »