Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
25 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -85€
(last updated 11/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 44 users playing Freelancer on 42 servers.
November. 22, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21)

Re: OpenGL Rendering
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Trusted Speciality Developers
Senior Members
I know what you guys mean. You are talking about the well known "feature creep". While it might look that way, there is actually a goal I had (and still have) for the first release:
- Good looking shadows
- Good rendering quality so it does not look artificial
- A (somewhat acceptable) material system
- Acceptable performance
- No problematic bugs and enough polish for release

For the current state only the last one is open now. So as you can see there is quite a large progress already made.

Stuff I have on my list for after release:
- More lights, especially make running lights real lights
- Add bloom support (currently there is only exposure control)
- Automatic exposure control (from Valve HL2 paper)
- More baked in reflections so that e.g. nebula not in the starspheres are also reflected
- More performance optimizations
- ... (here you can add literally endless stuff which you could do)

@Moonhead:

I intend to make it a mod so in the end everyone can use it. I am thinking about to exclude mods who stole stuff from others, so that they can learn the hard way why stealing is not good. Why should I respect their work if they don't respect the work of others. I am still open for feedback on this, though.

At first I will release it for our mod only, so problems can be found more quickly. After a while I plan to create a standalone mod on Moddb with only the graphics enhancements for others to use. Hopefully FL will live a bit longer that way.

As for the files: The models in the videos are from vanilla FL. They just use height and normal maps. I upscaled the textures using a self build and trained neural net plus some automatic post processing. Regarding the engine: Basically I replaced the end of the rendering pipeline from FL with my stuff. So maybe its half a new rendering engine. Some stuff still gets just passed through.

I did some tests with eigos and it looks like we have a usable workflow for exporting stuff and use it with my new rendering system. Here is a video from an asteroid eigos created: http://www.flnu.net/downloads/flroid02_4.mp4 . It uses height, normal, roughness and metalness maps.

It seems like everyone is happy with the way the rendering looks now (me included), so I won't touch that anymore as far as I am able to.

Edit: Replaced the video with a one where the shadows aren't bugged due to wrong bias.
Edit2: After some map and parameter tuning: http://www.flnu.net/downloads/flroid02_8.mp4

Posted on: 10/4 16:06

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't read the 20+ pages but I've seen some pictures and they are absolutely beautiful

Posted on: 10/4 16:57
Open in new window
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Thanks!

I was able to reverse the list of asteroids which are about to be rendered and integrate it into the shadow rendering. Also I now automatically generate the necessary TBN data for normal maps etc. on asteroids, because FL does not support saving them into the models.

The result can be seen in this video: http://www.flnu.net/downloads/fl1011.mp4

Costs a lot of FPS currently despite of instancing, so improving it is the next step.

Posted on: 11/10 22:54
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
TBN data could be put and spread across uv mapping vectors in VMeshData. FL materials don't use more than two uv maps, so six more channels as defined by FVF are free for the taking. Some quantization techniques could be employed to compress into fewer bits. Though if the cost of generating them on the fly isn't hitting performance it might not be as useful.

Posted on: 11/11 10:59
Just can't stay away
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Impressive Schmackbolzen

Posted on: 11/11 18:44
Open in new window
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Thank you, I really like the look, too!

@Treewyrm: Thanks for the hints, but I know that. The problem is, that FL does not support more than two texture coordinates when rendering asteroids. So the only other option would be to load the model yourself instead of letting FL do it. This is an option for the future, since you also only can use one material, so it would be an improvement. For normal models, the TBN data already is stored into additional texture coordinates.

Posted on: 11/12 8:07
« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21)