Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (16 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -45€
(last updated 09/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 37 users playing Freelancer on 40 servers.
October. 17, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 »

It Stops Now
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
I'm not going to mention the server, but you'll probably know who you are. If you ever bad mouth my mod and server just to promote your mod, I will personally see you are banned from every site known to FL. I have works 5 years on this mod to get it to this point and will probably be a few more just to get it the way I want it. Unlike other mods out there that have teams (Not saying they all do), I was solo on this project for 4 years until the community started producing fantastic content (Starspheres, new suns, and etc). I take pride in my work for NSU and I won't see it tarnished by morons.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 8:35
Re: It Stops Now
Not too shy to talk
From Copenhagen, Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
Good for you mate, stand up for yourself, theres nothing wrong with being proud of your hard work and good results...

Ras

Posted on: 2010/7/22 10:51
Home away from home
From new jersey usa
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
i played your mod a couple of times nice look but the npcs too tough

Posted on: 2010/7/22 14:24
Open in new window
Quite a regular
From Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Quote:

I have works 5 years on this mod to get it to this point and will probably be a few more just to get it the way I want it. Unlike other mods out there that have teams (Not saying they all do), I was solo on this project for 4 years until the community started producing fantastic content (Starspheres, new suns, and etc). I take pride in my work for NSU and I won't see it tarnished by morons.

with this you have right m8

Quote:

If you ever bad mouth my mod and server just to promote your mod, I will personally see you are banned from every site known to FL.

i can inderstand youre reaction on it,think will do the same

Quote:

Nightstalker wrote:
I'm not going to mention the server, but you'll probably know who you are. If you ever bad mouth my mod and server just to promote your mod.

butt with this i disagree.

when you post something like that in open forum,
name a name, becouse if you dont give one,we can do nothing with it,.so youre post is rather useless for us .
and i think that it is usefull for the community to know the things
what go wrong,so we can learn form the misstakes

ps this is not a atack to you ,but the way i think

grt predator

Posted on: 2010/7/22 15:02
Open in new window

WTS World CCN
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
If you don't want to do naming and shaming, post about it in the private section. Only server admins will know and will be able to deal with it more effectively.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 15:27
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
I don't have access to that section

Posted on: 2010/7/22 17:01
Quite a regular
From Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
send you a pm

Posted on: 2010/7/22 17:06
Open in new window

WTS World CCN
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Quote:

Nightstalker wrote:
I don't have access to that section

Now yes.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 17:13
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan
Just can't stay away
From Trade Lane Watching
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
I haven't heard but, if I do, I'll let cha know NS. Bet on it.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 8:40
Open in new window
Freelancer, 16 years old and still playing the game.

Is Juni here?

Group:
Registered Users
Wodka locked your thread in the admin section before I could post this, so I'll post it here, because I feel it needs to be said. Any of the references within you'll have to go to the other thread to check, which exists here:
http://the-starport.net/modules/newbb ... &order=ASC&status=&mode=0

I sincerely hope this reaches a decent amount of you, because it's important, and it's a serious issue here. The post I intended for the other thread is as follows:

>Okay, so their reasons are justified somehow and Nightstalker's is not. Talk about one sided.

Wow. Way to miss the point. No, that's what he's saying. Their reasons WEREN'T justified, and neither is Nightstalker's. Fact is, any other modding community that's still alive and kicking doesn't act anything remotely close to the way this community acts. Last I checked, it's not a bad thing to have your mod hosted on another server. In fact, if anything, it's a sign that your mod is being played by enough people that they want to host it on their own server. Maybe he was banned from his server, but whatever. He's giving Nightstalker credit for making the mod, he's not claiming it as his own, that's really all there is to it. FF, you believe he has the right to do whatever he wants with his mod, and I respect and actually agree with that stance.

HOWEVER, that does not make his actions any less childish.

As I have stated before, any other modding community, let's take the Bethesda modders for example (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc), if you use content from their mods in your own, ALL THEY ASK is that you give them credit where credit is due. And that's just for content on a singleplayer game.

Let's look at content made for a multiplayer game such as Garry's Mod or Counterstrike. Modders in those communities don't flip their lids over their mods being hosted on a server that they didn't approve. The serverlist for either of those games alone is proof enough of that. If anything, it's a testament to the popularity of the mods that populate the servers. It's not hurting the modders or their mods, and they realize that, and they let it be.

Let's even look at the gaming INDUSTRY as a whole. Like him or not, looking at the situation objectively, Pastaspace is absolutely right with his analogy regarding Gabe Newell and TF2 servers. That's a high budget, big name game, and yet it's hosted on loads of servers, and there's no tantrum over it from the developers of that, and if you want to try and argue that because TF2 is a big name game focused on multiplayer, I would reply that just because you made a mod does not give you license to be childish and immature just because you worked on and made something. Industry devs worked just as hard, if not harder, on their products than anyone else in any community. In fact, if not for devs like that allowing you to host their content on your servers, you wouldn't have a game to mod. Freelancer was made by Microsoft, not the modding community. And Dageoffant is correct that the modding community doesn't own their mods either. Microsoft does. Feel free to look into that, it's fact.

No, what hurts the modders and their mods are browbeating others because their ego and desire to be the only populated server for their mod will not permit them to share their creations in a way that causes no harm to anything. What hurts modders and their mods are childish, knee-jerk reactions to situations EXACTLY like this one. While this community and I may not always see eye to eye on everything (I won't delve into that, because that will just devolve into a whole other mess, and I'd like to keep this civil), certainly you must see the foolishness of this whole endeavor.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hosting a mod on another server as long as credit is given where credit is due. This whole argument is extremely petty and serves no purpose other than to exemplify all the reasons why a dying community continues to dig themselves deeper. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Remember when it wasn't about politics? Remember when it wasn't about ego or who has the BEST MOST POPULAR FL SERVER EVER? Remember when it was about playing a game with friends and sharing your works with others so they could enjoy it however they wanted to? REMEMBER WHEN FREELANCER WAS ABOUT HAVING FUN?

I implore you, come together as a community and stop all this foolish bickering and arguing. I and others have seen this kind of thing before, in the death throes of communities throughout gaming. Please. Before it's too late.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 20:24
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
I don't want this thread to go down like the other, so this discussion stops now. It should actually have stopped in the other thread.

Your points would need addressing, weishaupt, but I don't want to see another 20 posts by Pasta and his "bros".

Don't continue the discussion. Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 20:37
-Peggy Noonan
Just can't stay away
From the Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Okay, i'm no modder, but i still have to say something.

I read a lot of modders and ego and more pointings....
I'm sure for some they have, yes.

But.......

A modder wanna make his own mod, for his own community. For some it's like as if it's their child.
They put a lot of time to get it work, They put a lot of time to create the perfect mod wich fit in the modder his brain.

What i find strange now from this all is....
There is a game, i'm sure you all know it... WoW. World of Warcraft.
Lot's of guy's/girl's love it.
Some people try to run their own servers to, but if they get caught, they get a big nice letter from the laywers from Blizard.
Officially they may not run their own server. Why not?
Because that's big money to earn. You must pay to play. And nobody cry's about that, everybody find that all "Normal"

But if in FL world, somebody's mod got stolen, than we must find this all "normal" ??
If a person, don't wanna get his mod "hosted" without permission, than he's a cry baby?
Get real, what's that for mentality??

A modification don't belong to MS! Freelancer belong to MS.
So every mod is the private property from the modmaker. And he can restricted as he wants.
If he not want that Coffeecup no1 host it, without permission, and teabag no2 have ask it and give credits etc etc, he have the right to allow or deny it.
The mod maker spent hour's of hour's in it. Not the one who "Host it"

I'm hosting a mod, in agreement. But if the modmaker decide tomorrow that the server must close, it's going down.
Regardless how hard that is for the community. But you need to respect the wishes of a modder.

Those are my 2cents...

@FF: Sorry, that wasn't my intention, but while you had post, i was making my post

Posted on: 2010/7/26 21:07
Open in new window
~~My spells are dangerous~~

WTS for the Game. WTS for the World

Group:
Registered Users
Look, FF, just because you don't like Pasta doesn't mean they shouldn't be addressed. Should I just start a new thread or something? Because right now that post reads to me as a giant handwave of "They WOULD need addressing, but I don't like Pasta, so I won't", and that seems to me like a cop-out. Fact is, like it or not, like ME or not, they're very valid points that just seem to get ignored because they're inconvenient to address. As I said, I want to be civil about this, and there's nothing wrong with dissenting opinions and free discussion. Please point me to where on the forum I can discuss this.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 21:09
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
By all means "continue" posting, you seem to make be able to make "stupid" and hilarious" posts without the help of us "bros"

Posted on: 2010/7/26 21:09
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

weishaupt wrote:
Look, FF, just because you don't like Pasta doesn't mean they shouldn't be addressed. Should I just start a new thread or something? Because right now that post reads to me as a giant handwave of "They WOULD need addressing, but I don't like Pasta, so I won't", and that seems to me like a cop-out. Fact is, like it or not, like ME or not, they're very valid points that just seem to get ignored because they're inconvenient to address. As I said, I want to be civil about this, and there's nothing wrong with dissenting opinions and free discussion. Please point me to where on the forum I can discuss this.

This. I think these kinds of discussions have been avoided long enough that it should finally be addressed, as long as it remains civil.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 21:17
(1) 2 3 »

Topic is Locked