Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

u-71, more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +165€

Current balance: 105€
(last updated 02/2021)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 127 users playing Freelancer on 39 servers.
April. 17, 2021

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2)

Re: WHY485 - Anyone have his contact details?
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
I'm siding with w0dk4 here. Sure, it's impossible to fail if you never try, but then most mods would never have been started out of fear of it crashing, all utilities would not be there because there's a small chance they might have been hated and dissed...

Oh and, Freelancer would probably have been cancelled a thousand times already. If there's one thing that's had a shaky and unsure dev cycle, it's the very game we're trying to protect and build up. It still got out, not?

I know things look bleak, I know some projects are just dreams, but we can't just sit there and do nothing but stuff we are 100% sure will work. I'll point out at the start, Starport was about 99,5% sure to FAIL UTTERLY. And it did for months, but we kept going.

Where are we now?

Posted on: 2009/2/22 15:17
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I apologize for the inconvenience.

This will be my last post on this forum.

I had no desire to usurp any resources, merely to find a talented fellow and give him a shot at doing this full time.

The only reason I posted here (or on the disco forums for that matter) was to give a community that loves the same thing that I love a chance to speak their minds before I go ahead with the project.

I am no 'big shot'. Please accept my humblest apologies if I came across that way.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Andrew.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 15:51
Starport Admin
From The Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
Senior Members
Quote:

I apologize for the inconvenience.

This will be my last post on this forum.

I had no desire to usurp any resources, merely to find a talented fellow and give him a shot at doing this full time.

The only reason I posted here (or on the disco forums for that matter) was to give a community that loves the same thing that I love a chance to speak their minds before I go ahead with the project.

I am no 'big shot'. Please accept my humblest apologies if I came across that way.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Andrew.

Oh uhh

Don't you start running away!!! ???
We just started this convo, and seeing your last post it looks like you haven't met the FL community yet.

Its not hostile, its just being woried thats all. And since this is a free posting platform people are allowed to express their opinions.
Only 3 or 4 people posted here. And TBH i would gladly stay updated on this project, and with me hundreds of people more.
Contructive critisism is good, and people posting their concerns is as well, makes you look at things different.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 16:07
Open in new window
Re: Sorted. Thank you.
Home away from home
From Germany
Group:
Banned!
my intention is not to destroy your dream... my intention was to protect the community from false hopes

and lets be honest... to create a mod and to create TV series is a big difference
this arguement came from w0dk4 and FF
yes we modders and coders also had our dreams and still have them... but the difference is that we realize them and create our work before we present it to the community.... the PR work starts when the stuff is almost finished and showing the final result which does not leave open much room for speculation if its going to be good or not

we also should not forget that we act in different time frames here...
ignoring some extreme examples (like CF where I (mainly) work alone on a 2gb mod) the creation of a halfway good mod does only time a few weeks and the time span to create a tool is usually not much bigger

To create a TV show you can expect that the FL community would spend months to get the teaser working... then it would take ages before we would get an OK from Microsoft (assuming they would even care)... then you need to find a producer... you need to find a cast... you need to find professional story writers... the casting starts.... and finally you spend months with the production of the show
In the end before you can see something on TV you have spend about 2 years... which is a careful guess.
Considering the current situation in the FL community I really doubt that FL will have enough players and community in 2 years which really can benefit from it.

IF you want to create such projects then you also have to look at the less shiny facts... and not only on the highlights.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 18:34
Re: Sorted. Thank you.
Starport Admin
From The Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
Senior Members
Enough is enough.

Topic locked.

EDIT:

Reason: The topic creator won't reply anymore as he clearly stated in his last post. There for its unfair for the topic creator to continue this discussion because he can't respond/defend him self anymore.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 19:12
Open in new window
« 1 (2)

Topic is Locked