Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 65

Ichiru, more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +165€

Current balance: 105€
(last updated 02/2021)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 25 users playing Freelancer on 38 servers.
April. 14, 2021

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users



 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post



Shields won't drop properly?
Quite a regular
Joined:
2010/11/8 16:38
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 131
Offline
Recently I was told that stationary battleships in the mod I'm working on weren't dangerous enough. I decided to test this and found that some shields won't drop when they reach 0.

I'm not sure why they don't drop. Some shields, like those on Light Fighters, seem to behave normally. Heavy/Very Heavy Fighter shields on the other hand seem to stay up.

I can take fire from a battleship with turrets that do 50000 damage, 140000, damage and several with 11400 damage and continuously taking fire from two fighters armed with around 6 8.33 refire 240 damge guns.

My fighter, which is sitting still, has a shield capacity of 11038 and has around 12000 hitpoints and can survive this onslaught for around ten seconds with 0 shields (all impacts give shield effects, the hull doesn't drop) before one shot randomly gets through. NPCs don't seem to have this problem because with the same ship type and shield, they start taking hull damage right after the shield drops and their regeneration rate isn't really noticeable.

I've also tried resetting WeaponModDB, but the problem is still there afterwards. What would cause the shields to stay up at 0 percent for several seconds?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 17:07
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2008/2/17 19:44
From Virginia
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Posts: 369
Offline
One possibility is if you set your npcs to use bots and batts. They can use them very efficiently. If you have given them, say, 5 batts, their shields could easy stay up for 5-15 seconds. Scan them to see how they use them.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 1:37
http://UnderVerse.us
http://FreelancerCommunity.net
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2009/12/28 11:49
From England
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 220
Offline
I think that hes saying the damage that is being done to the ship far over steps the ships total health and therefore should just instantly killed.. you cant use bots and bats if you blow up right away.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 2:48
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Home away from home
Joined:
2008/5/21 19:32
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Posts: 953
Offline
Is it possible that the shield or gun stats differ between the client and server?

Posted on: 2012/4/19 3:51
Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy a car...
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Home away from home
Joined:
2008/5/4 21:00
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 554
Offline
Quote:

Xalrok wrote:
Recently I was told that stationary battleships in the mod I'm working on weren't dangerous enough. I decided to test this and found that some shields won't drop when they reach 0.

I'm not sure why they don't drop. Some shields, like those on Light Fighters, seem to behave normally. Heavy/Very Heavy Fighter shields on the other hand seem to stay up.

I can take fire from a battleship with turrets that do 50000 damage, 140000, damage and several with 11400 damage and continuously taking fire from two fighters armed with around 6 8.33 refire 240 damge guns.

My fighter, which is sitting still, has a shield capacity of 11038 and has around 12000 hitpoints and can survive this onslaught for around ten seconds with 0 shields (all impacts give shield effects, the hull doesn't drop) before one shot randomly gets through. NPCs don't seem to have this problem because with the same ship type and shield, they start taking hull damage right after the shield drops and their regeneration rate isn't really noticeable.

I've also tried resetting WeaponModDB, but the problem is still there afterwards. What would cause the shields to stay up at 0 percent for several seconds?


This is really unclear. Do you mean the shields are "down" - what makes them stay down? Or the shields are 0 capacity but not "down"?

I think even with 1 hp of shield left, a 100000 shot will still take it to 0 (shields failed) before hull takes a beating.

If the shield is down and shots aren't doing any damage, look to your sur files. In particular, do you have the sound associated with shots landing on the hull or do the just pass through?

Sorry if this seems silly, but it is actually hard to understand what the issue is.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 21:36
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Quite a regular
Joined:
2010/11/8 16:38
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 131
Offline
Quote:

Hidamari wrote:
I think that hes saying the damage that is being done to the ship far over steps the ships total health and therefore should just instantly killed.. you cant use bots and bats if you blow up right away.


Yeah, this. I'll use a few pictures to explain.

Open in new window


In this shot, I'm not moving at all. I've just taken a hit that knocked out my shield. Another shot is coming from a gun that should instantly destroy my ship. At this point I've already gotten the "Shield Failed" message.

Open in new window


Now the shot has hit. You can see from the NPC fighter and the other two shots in the background that this picture has been taken about a second later. But for some reason, even though the shield bar clearly says I have no shield, the impact effect and hull damage shows that the gun is still hitting the shield. The shield hasn't regenerated and I'm not using any bots or bats. If that shot had hit the hull instead, I'd have blown up.

Open in new window


In this picture I'm now taking fire from the background turrets and the NPC. My shield is still down, it's still not regenerating. The shield is still taking damage instead of the hull. A few seconds after this some of the shots managed to hit the hull, but that should have started happening in picture 2.

As for NPCs, they don't have this behaviour. They start taking hull damage as soon as the shield fails, as they are supposed to. They don't use bats or bots at all. The hull hitboxes seem to be fine and shots don't pass through. I hope this clarifies things.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 22:13
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Home away from home
Joined:
2009/9/28 21:13
From Wales
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 925
Offline
Shot in the dark here, but what happens if you don't have a shield mounted at all, does it still take a few hits before you start taking damage?

P.S - They look like custom made ships, what are you working on, got a mod page or anything so we can see what you're upto?

Posted on: 2012/4/19 22:35
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Just popping in
Joined:
2009/9/3 9:11
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 16
Offline
Quote:

P.S - They look like custom made ships, what are you working on, got a mod page or anything so we can see what you're upto?


Hi, I'm the mod lead of the project you see here. The ships and other things in the screenshots from Xalrok are from Freelancer: Neo Terra, a total conversion set in the Procyon sector. The mod is in offshoot from Discovery in the sense that a faction there, the Neo Terran Front (Which I led several years ago), succeeds in their goal of launching a sleepership to escape the dystopia that Sirius has become.

The mod features all new ships (Mostly modelled and textured by myself, with a few on the side by Rommie), new factions, new weapons, a brand new RP storyline, and of course, a whole new sector to explore.

We do not have a mod page, as my personal philosophy is to get tangible work done before flaunting something that will never get finished (Also I won't lie, I'm a bit antisocial and bad at advertising things). The mod has been in development since April 2010, and in terms of systems is basically complete. Modeling and effects work continues along at a steady pace but infocards are what have been holding us back the most.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

P.S - Your spellchecker thinks 'dystopia' is a typo.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 23:02
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Home away from home
Joined:
2009/9/28 21:13
From Wales
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 925
Offline
Well I'll be damned, good for you!! So many TBC mods show up on moddb etc, should really be labelled as NTBC (never to be confirmed of course), so can't say I blame you for working in the shadows.

I imagine infocards must be a real bitch for a TC, so many to do your head will explode!

If you feel like sharing a picture or two, just to let people know you exist, then use the gallery, that's what it's there for, we all like a few good pics

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/4/20 0:20
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Quite a regular
Joined:
2010/11/8 16:38
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 131
Offline
Quote:

Timmy51m wrote:
Shot in the dark here, but what happens if you don't have a shield mounted at all, does it still take a few hits before you start taking damage?


I've just tested this with several ships. They all die immediately to the battleship when they don't have a shield mounted, every time.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 21:14
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Quite a regular
Joined:
2008/6/11 21:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 138
Offline
Another shot in the dark...

What's the Shield Offline setting?

Posted on: 2012/4/20 22:07
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Home away from home
Joined:
2009/9/28 21:13
From Wales
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 925
Offline
Sounds like it's related to the shield, try a shield with vanilla settings if you've modded the shield files. Failing that, try using a vanilla sur file for the ship. All trial and error, and with so many hooks and hacks being used now in modding, sometimes more difficult to pinpoint.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 23:23
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Quite a regular
Joined:
2010/11/8 16:38
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 131
Offline
Quote:

Timmy51m wrote:
Sounds like it's related to the shield, try a shield with vanilla settings if you've modded the shield files. Failing that, try using a vanilla sur file for the ship. All trial and error, and with so many hooks and hacks being used now in modding, sometimes more difficult to pinpoint.


Well, there's really not much I can see that's different between a Vanilla shield and the mod's custom ones. They're nearly identical in terms of stats.

What I did notice was that another ship seemed to take hull damage faster than others. I gave myself an Eagle for testing and found that it doesn't suffer from the bug at all, so right now it looks like something to do with the shield hitbox. The hull hitbox works fine (when the shield is down, that is.)

EDIT: I have tried re-exporting new hitboxes from scratch using Schmackbolzen's OBJ to SUR converter. It's made the problem a bit better, but I'm still able to take shots which hit the shield instead of the hull.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 23:44
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?

Joined:
2011/7/25 11:18
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 28
Offline
Well, this is going to sound stupid, but, if you can't outright fix this completely, you could work with it. Just state it as an "Emergency Power To Shields" subsystem that these ships have. It's not perfect, hell, it's probably not even a good idea, but if that's what you have to work with, you may just have to use it to your advantage instead of a disadvantage. I know this doesn't help your issue at all, sadly. Hope your mod comes along.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 20:31
Top
Re: Shields won't drop properly?
Quite a regular
Joined:
2010/11/8 16:38
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Posts: 131
Offline
Quote:

Griff wrote:
Well, this is going to sound stupid, but, if you can't outright fix this completely, you could work with it. Just state it as an "Emergency Power To Shields" subsystem that these ships have. It's not perfect, hell, it's probably not even a good idea, but if that's what you have to work with, you may just have to use it to your advantage instead of a disadvantage. I know this doesn't help your issue at all, sadly. Hope your mod comes along.


I should have edited my last post but forgot to. I began testing custom ships in other mods and discovered that this is a problem that affects custom player ships when being shot by NPCs, leading me to believe that this is about as close to perfection as I can get.

In PVP, however, the shields drop normally. I've found that re-exporting hitboxes with the latest OBJ to SUR exporter fixes the problem a little, but I've never really noticed the problem while playing other mods in multiplayer.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 23:36
Top