Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
20 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 19

khayman, more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -45€
(last updated 09/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 78 users playing Freelancer on 40 servers.
October. 19, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

(1) 2 »

A German Language Question
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Meine Entschuldigungen - my command of the German language is utterly inadequate so I won't even attempt to ask this question auf deutsch

In my mod, I want to create a secret service for Rheinland, just like Liberty has the LSF. It's name should be Rheinländische Abschirmdienst

Would that be correct? Or should it be Rheinländischer Abschirmdienst? Or maybe even Rheinländischen Abschirmdienst?

I never really understood the whole declension thing, as in Dutch (my native language and similar to German in many aspects) the whole concept was ditched some centuries ago A pity, because German is a beautiful language, imho (especially when yelled at the top of one's lungs - just kidding ).

Okay thanks in advance, and Krautrock über alles!

Posted on: 2011/8/27 11:51
Anonymous
Re: A German Language Question
Anonymous-Anonymous
It'd be Rheinländischer Geheimdienst if it's supposed to be a general secret service term you want to use. (= Rhineland Secret Service)

If you want to use a more real-worldish term, you could use Rheinländischer Nachrichtendienst. (Rhineland Information Service), the real equivalent is the Bundesnachrichtendienst.

Abschirmdienst by contrast means something like counterintelligence service.

Hope that helps ya

Posted on: 2011/8/27 12:05
Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Bundesnachrichtendienst is what we planned to use fo FL10K, but is it referring to Germany in the name or does it simple mean 'Federal Intelligence Service'?

Posted on: 2011/8/27 12:42
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Aigle1707 wrote:
It'd be Rheinländischer Geheimdienst if it's supposed to be a general secret service term you want to use. (= Rhineland Secret Service)

If you want to use a more real-worldish term, you could use Rheinländischer Nachrichtendienst. (Rhineland Information Service), the real equivalent is the Bundesnachrichtendienst.

Abschirmdienst by contrast means something like counterintelligence service.

Hope that helps ya

@ Aigle1707 - Thanks!!

I know Abschirmdienst would imply it's a counter-intelligence service. But I did not know a scret service is simply Geheimdienst (very much like Dutch 'geheime dienst' ). Maybe that makes more sense, and sounds even cooler And hey - I can even have both, as they will just be auxillary factions anyway (merged into the Rheinland Authorities)

I would have guessed Nachrichtendienst would simply mean 'news agency'. Uneducated translations can be deceiving sometimes.

@ Bobthemanofsteel - Thanks for the input. I'll pick either Geheimdienst or Abschirmdienst though.

Of course, it is not absolutely necessary the name is in German, as e.g. the Rheinland Military has an English name, but for dramatic effect I thought it'd be cool Like the Landwirtrechtbewegung (LWB)

Btw, I've always presumed there exists a German language version of the game. Is that correct? And, if so, are all the voices in German then? I'd be cool to make a hybrid mod, having the Rheinland factions speak German. (But then, for completeness sake) we'd have to have the Kusari speak Japanese, and the Corsairs and Outcasts Spanish... and I doubt there are spanish and japanese releases available)

Posted on: 2011/8/27 15:07
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
PS My orginal Q was just about the grammatical ending -e / -er / -en. I understand it is -er (I guess -en would involve a dative or accusative case or so? And -e is probably just bad German as one would expect from a Holländer)

Posted on: 2011/8/27 15:12
Open in new window
Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget to make the Bretonians speak British.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 16:15
Anonymous
Anonymous-Anonymous
@ Bobthemanofsteel: The latter is right, it means Federal Information (in this case = intelligence) Service.

@Moonhead: Yes, Nachrichtendienst can also refer to a press agency. Tis one of the many oddities of the German language. And regarding the ending, you could either simply use Rheinland or you go with Rheinländischer. In both cases you don't have to worry about the -dienst, whose endings remains the same.

Actually there is a German version of the game. I can upload the sound files for you if you want them.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 16:24
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Bobthemanofsteel wrote:
Don't forget to make the Bretonians speak British.

Taking this to the next level, the Manhatters (Manhattanians?) should throw in the occasional Yiddish phrase ("What a schmuck you are, Trent!)". And we should invite Larry Hagman as a voice artist for the Texas system.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 17:19
Open in new window
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
@ Aigle1707. Thanks fort the offer. I might like that But on the other hand it's not very likely I will use any of it, so it'll be just a piece of curiosa on my HD. It might not be worth your trouble.

Now, knowing there is a German version, I am curious whether the German players here on TSP prefer that one. Maybe that'd be a nice poll question... My guess is not, as all the Germans write perfect english, as far as I can tell.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 17:29
Open in new window
Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Moonhead wrote:
("What a schmuck you are, Trent!)".

I lol'd.

EDIT: Oh and, thanks for the explanation, Aigle.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 17:44
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Bobthemanofsteel wrote:
Bundesnachrichtendienst is what we planned to use fo FL10K, but is it referring to Germany in the name or does it simple mean 'Federal Intelligence Service'?

It's only know that I actually understood your question.

Aigle1707, as a native speaker of German, already answered it better than I can, but I must say that all the German words with Bundes- (though literally meaning Federal like Aigle1707 says) do seem to have some connotation of specifically refering to the BRD (Bundesrepublik Deutschlands), just like words starting with Reichs- (literally meaning Imperial) specifically refered to the German Reich.

So, I'd say that to some degree Bundesnachrichtendienst does seem to specifically refer to the BDR - in the real world that is. In Freelancer it could perfectly refer to the Federal Republic of Rheinland. But don't forget to change the name to [i]Reichsnachrichtendienst]/i] if you plan to have a Kaiser :p

Anyway, there's no direct reference to 'German' or 'Germany' in one of the terms we discussed (which would be the case if it started with 'Deutscher'

Of course, everyone who's better in German than I am, has a moral duty to correct me if I talked Quatsch.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 17:50
Open in new window
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Quote:

Moonhead wrote:
I am curious whether the German players here on TSP prefer that one.

Well, since I don't have the complete english voices, I can't really tell... But in the german version there are some gaps between the voice parts, expecially in the voices of the station people (e.g. I am working for...the Outcasts.). Is this the case for the english voices too, or is it just that they didn't fix the lenght values when translating the game?

Posted on: 2011/8/27 22:04
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Quarks wrote:
Quote:

Moonhead wrote:
I am curious whether the German players here on TSP prefer that one.

Well, since I don't have the complete english voices, I can't really tell... But in the german version there are some gaps between the voice parts, expecially in the voices of the station people (e.g. I am working for...the Outcasts.). Is this the case for the english voices too, or is it just that they didn't fix the lenght values when translating the game?

I think the English version is rather 'gapsy'. The example you give could literally be taken from the English version!

Posted on: 2011/8/27 22:08
Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
While sifting through some news articles in the dlls, I noticed that they make mention of the 'Ministry of Truth' in Rheinland, which presumably fulfills a role similar to the LSF, though seemingly with a more public and propoganda focus.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't, given the subject.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 22:45
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Bobthemanofsteel wrote:
While sifting through some news articles in the dlls, I noticed that they make mention of the 'Ministry of Truth' in Rheinland, which presumably fulfills a role similar to the LSF, though seemingly with a more public and propoganda focus.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't, given the subject.

Cool, I'll do a search on that.

First thing that comes to mind when I hear 'Ministry of Truth' is Orwell's 1984, of course. Not so much fitting the Bundesrepublik Rheinlands, but rather the Rheinländische Demokratische Republik :p

Posted on: 2011/8/27 23:24
(1) 2 »