Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
34 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +130€

Current balance: 45€
(last updated 01/2020)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 69 users playing Freelancer on 42 servers.
January. 29, 2020

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2)

Re: Mod problem NSU server
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
I've been on both sides of the fence on numerous occasions and I can easily understand both points of view. They're both valid and dismissing either is plain and simply shortsighted.

Limiting the ability to host servers means it's much easier to concentrate the player base around a few key locations, thus improving player counts. As Witch said, it's a matter of 50 people on the main server or 10 people on there and the 40 others spread thin on a bunch of other servers. It can kill a mod.

Furthermore, you don't have to provide support for hosting or bug fixing for any configuration but that of your official server(s). Sure, you can say you don't provide support whatsoever, but trust me, people will whine about that as much as they would if you did not share at all.

On the flip side, sharing the mod means it won't ever "die". If you're very open about it, it's possible that others will keep supporting and developing it long after you're gone, which is a nice thing. It also benefits the community at large and lets those who do not like your main server's setup/rules/style make their own server just as they want (or even simply play in a LAN).

As far as I'm concerned, both ways are fine. The only thing I would ponder is, assuming you keep the mod locked down, whether to share it when you pull the plug. I think that this would be the better way, since then the main reason for not sharing is gone anyways.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 15:18
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan
Home away from home
From new jersey usa
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
it should be the mod makers right to restrict his work if he does not want certain things copied . or if supplies the server to play the mod on.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 22:17
Open in new window
Starport Admin
From Germany
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Quote:

rsabatino wrote:
it should be the mod makers right to restrict his work if he does not want certain things copied . or if supplies the server to play the mod on.

nobody said otherwise

Posted on: 2011/7/27 22:23
aka chaosgrid
https://www.freelancerserver.de
https://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow
Starport Staff
From England
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Staff
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

rsabatino wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

/me jumps on anti-copyright bandwagon.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 22:43
Home away from home
From Wales
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
If you've got a copy of 1.65 still then you can run that on LAN, I've played it like that myself because my ping is no good to the server. Even converted it to single player in the end. Not sure how he would feel if you hosted a public server though, probably not too happy.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:11
Anonymous
Anonymous-Anonymous
Quote:

=Alex= wrote:

/me jumps on anti-copyright bandwagon.

Gotta love statements like that from the misinformed and plain stupid. My income comes from copyrighted material, and if it wasn't for idiotic attitudes like this i'd be earning a lot more than i am. It's the "we should have it for free" brigade that are ruining the music and film industry and all i can do is hold you in complete contempt for even thinking it. Because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you don't realise the harm you and many others do to artists like myself. Pitiful, truly is.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:38
Starport Admin
From Germany
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Keep this discussion civil, calling others misinformed and stupid for their opinion does not really prove your point.
For example, there are quite a few voices in this world that would say that copyright reduces originality and the variety of art in favor of mainstream.

Anyways, this has nothing to do with the initial topic. I think the topic has been answered and can be closed.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:59
aka chaosgrid
https://www.freelancerserver.de
https://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow
Starport Staff
From England
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Staff
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Yes, I'm going to try to avoid discussing this sort of thing in future. Flamey topic I guess. Sorry if I annoyed you a bit there, Gibbon.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 21:01
« 1 (2)

Topic is Locked