Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
46 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -45€
(last updated 09/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 82 users playing Freelancer on 40 servers.
October. 19, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

Need some Advice about Forum Platforms

From Honshu
Group:
Registered Users
Ahoy
I´m thinkin about finally leavin xoops. Any of the awesome experienced and cool guys up 4 some Hints about good Platforms?
I wanna be able to fully customize it without havin to be the Haxxorz.

Greetz,
Mörser out

Posted on: 2009/8/23 20:53
Re: Need some Advice about Forum Platforms
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Since we just arrived on Xoops, I can tell you it's the most flexible platform available among all of those we tested.

They include, in no particular order: Joomla 1.0 and 1.5, Drupal, TYPO3, PHP-Fusion and a few other lesser known ones.

We found Drupal was the best as far as features go, but it had large issues with speed, its forums were utterly abysmal unless you settle for using a bridge and many of its modules had yet to be ported over to the latest version. It also became very, very large after not that long of use. The Views module was a gift from heaven though!

PHP-Fusion was the other nice one, but it was insecure and their main website got hacked repeatedly in a short period.

So in short, I'd say Xoops is pretty good right now. If you want an easy solution, Joomla can work it out, even though it can be clunky.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 23:36
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan
Starport Admin
From The Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
Senior Members
Well FF, you have to say we have a heavely modified version at this moment, we altered the Newbb modules, the news the Xoops core and downloads, so we aren't realy running on a vanilla Xoops.

And yes, our changes, atleast the ones who are realy nice, are going to be on the next release of Xoops.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 23:41
Open in new window

From Honshu
Group:
Registered Users
Yea well, i took over the Administration of our forum 1 1/2 years ago as a total noob...and i mean what i say, i just knew that theres somethin out there they call html and the last time i wrote codes was on me Texas instruments like TI extended Basic lol.
I didnt even recordnized what i was gettin.
We are on "Module: System Admin 2.13" from that old thing and after havin just a lilbit of a clue i knew ....darn we´re in trouble.
Now im lookin for somethin that can handle the usual like mass user profilin and stuff, i guess u know what i mean.
Maybe, if u want, we can have a few words and try to find a solution for my little problem.
We have some ppl in our Team which pretty much know the ropes and stuff but i think another oppinion cant be wrong.
If i could understand how u guys found ur solutions and how u work with it, it would be an awesome help.

Greetz,
Mörser out

Posted on: 2009/8/24 1:15
Starport Admin
From The Netherlands
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Admin
Senior Members
Update to xoops 2.3.3 it has a realy nice profile module in it.. where you can add you own fieds etc.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 1:30
Open in new window

From Honshu
Group:
Registered Users
Thx, ill be readin a few thing about it.
What annoys me the most is that its really hard to keep the overview on things. I started to cleanup the groups and stuff but everythin seems to be spread on that darn interface and some things are there twice or at least do the same thing.
After changin things i get white screens and have to reload but i dunno how far this is xoops sided.
Atm i try to get more into the main stuff on the server basically edit the sourcetext itself to put layers on the footer and stuff.
I just cant have those things like the community bar not centered, it looks so...wrong.
Too bad i dont have the option to change things like the background directly in the admin interface.

Greetz,
Mörser out

Posted on: 2009/8/24 1:38
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Sadly, I'd say every CMS has its quirks and Xoops is by no means worse than the others.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 1:47
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan

From Honshu
Group:
Registered Users
Saw ur changelog on the xoops forums, looks pretty decend.
Ill try my luck with ur 2.3.3 hint if there wont already be the newer version with ur implements.

Greetz,
Mörser out

Posted on: 2009/8/30 1:21