Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
39 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 39

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +30€

Current balance: -35€
(last updated 05/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 40 users playing Freelancer on 41 servers.
May. 23, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

(1) 2 3 4 »

Missions... Missions...
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Any mission experts on here? (ok stupid question....).

I have done missions fine in a couple of existing systems with existing factions. However, I have decided to liven up some of the 'out-world' systems that don't really have much going on. I have created a new unlawful faction... and have set other existing factions such as the order to attack them.

I have followed tutorials, forum postings, the works... so I don't want referring any more My base and npc entries all seem spot on. The mvendor is set to offer missions and are certain base factions. The offers missions line is present and set to true. The new faction i made has proper loadouts, ships etc (I tested them seperate), and they have been added to the vignetteparams.ini file to be included in mission types.

Every time I visit the mission dealer or any character in the bar that is supposed to give missions, nothing shows up. It always says nothing is available. There are ambient pop zones in my system, so it should pick from something there with no problems.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that my missions will be for unlawfuls against unlawfuls. I have tried every damn vignette type too. Open, field and exclusion, with 'unlawful, lawful', 'lawful, unlawful', 'unlawful', and 'unlawful, unlawful', the latter of which seemed the right choice. I'm not sure what half of them are actually for, and there is NO info anywhere.

Help

Posted on: 2009/2/7 15:57
Re: Missions... Missions...
Just can't stay away
From Virginia
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
For tutorials, go here:

http://freelancercommunity.net/viewtopic.php?t=346

This is what you would want for unlawful vs unlawful:

[Zone]
nickname = Zone_SD01_destroy_vignette_01 <--------rename SD to your system name
shape = SPHERE
pos = 16362, 0, -12607
size = 10000
sort = 99.500000
mission_type = unlawful
vignette_type = open

There is only one exception to this in vanilla; 'unlawful, unlawful' at vig 16, Br01

Note that both have to be designated as unlawful in faction_prop, not just your desire for them to be bad, heh. They both must also possess ships in faction_prop.

First thing for you to check, perhaps you have done everything correctly, but failed to make yourself friendly first? If you beam to a hostile base and are hostile to them, they will not show you missions even if they work.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 20:24
http://UnderVerse.us
http://FreelancerCommunity.net
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Ty for reply DwnUndr. Yeah, I followed your guide along with Lancer's similar one. I have it exactly like that currently. I am indeed friendly with the base faction, there are indeed pop encounters in the system for the target faction, and they all have npc ships and working loadouts etc. I have rebuilt it all from scratch and it just doesn't want to do it. I'll attempt it again tomorrow

Posted on: 2009/2/7 22:20
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
I found that if the factions (the one that own the base and the one you want to be killed) hate eachother in the initialworld.ini theres no problems..

Posted on: 2009/2/8 9:06
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Well yeah man.... that's a given.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 10:50
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
No luck. I don't know wtf is going on at all. So i'll stick my system file and mbase entry onto pastebin so one of you lot can have a better browse...

FYI, I have made the order lawful, and they have NPC ships just the same as the nomads do. I made sure my char was rep edited to be enemies to the nomads and into the green with the order.

Bugger all shows up at the mission dealer still, after all this crap. This is an entirely fresh system to yesterday too... stupidly annoying... wasted hours on this getting nowhere...

The full system ini: http://pastebin.com/m468842dd
The mBases entry: http://pastebin.com/m34e67fbc

Whoever can sort me out with this most annoying thing I've ever come across... well... I'll be extremely grateful...

*EDIT*
---------
Also, is with the 3 vignette types? "Open", "Field" & "Exclusion". A quick skim through vanilla system files tells me that "Open" is used most frequently, but they all get utilized at some stage. When are they to be used and for what purpose? Is it something DA left out again like I suspect... or is it actually critical...? Thanks ;D

Posted on: 2009/2/8 17:32
Just can't stay away
From Melbourne, Florida, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
For the three zone types:

Open - All mission types are available.
Field - All mission types are available except Destroy Base.
Exclusion - All mission types are available in a set radius from the center of the zone; beyond that, it acts as a field type.

Also, have you set the Order faction to allow missions? Normally, they can't give missions, so you have to fiddle with some settings to allow them to. Also, you can't normally fly missions against Nomads, again requiring you to change some settings.

MK

Posted on: 2009/2/8 20:24
Just can't stay away
From Virginia
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
Quote:

Also, is with the 3 vignette types? "Open", "Field" & "Exclusion".

Open can be used anywhere.  Field means the mission will tell you to go to the 'Pittsburgh Debris Field' instead of 'Sector 4B'.  You have to define this in a few places before it will work in new systems.  Exclusion is a clearing in a field of course.  See vanilla Ew02 for a good example.

For the problem (since you didn't give faction_prop), try a quick substitution of some other know factions rather than nomads and order.  Throw in known vanilla good and bad guys into your pop zones and test again.  That will narrow it considerably.

edit, we replied almost at the same time, heh. I like your explanations of the field, looks sound.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 20:28
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks both Mk, what 'settings' do you mean? :-\

Posted on: 2009/2/8 21:08
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
I'm not quite certain, but I believe that it is somewhere in Common.dll. It is also possible to make a psuedo-Order and psuedo-Nomad faction, that is, direct copies of the respective factions, just with different nicknames. It is the names "fc_or_grp" and "fc_n_grp" that are coded not to a.) give out missions and b.) appear on the rep list, if I recall correctly. So, either hack the Common.dll (there are tutorials on it) or create two new factions. I personally chose the latter option, but whichever works best for you.

MK

Posted on: 2009/2/8 21:21
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Already done the common.dll hack to allow them to show up their. And that is 'only' what it does. It has nothing to do with missions. It's purely an aesthetic patch. I thought you meant something more... something in some .ini's.. factionprop maybe. I don't know what but...yeh... that's what I though

I guess I could create a new order faction though and test that way. Or do what DwnUndr said and use alternate vanilla factions to eliminate the order as a problem. Something hardcoded could be preventing them from showing with the order... :-\

Posted on: 2009/2/8 21:27
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Some more clarification needed on some info found in tuts guys...

DwnUndr, in your tutorial you give this:

Code:

[Zone]
nickname = Zone_RA01_destroy_vignette_01
shape = SPHERE
pos = -49703, 0, 70216
size = 10000
sort = 99.500000
vignette_type = open

You don't give a mission type in there... no 'mission_type' line. I assume it's not necessary for the typical lawful missions against unlawful. Either that, or it will be used for all types. Not sure. In other tutorials, and looking at destroy vignettes in existing systems, they all have a 'mission_type' line, be it "unlawful, lawful", "lawful, unlawful" etc etc. You go on to say it is only needed when it's missions 'for' unlawfuls (against lawfuls).

Then another oddity, is that in Lancer Solarus' tutorial, he designates all zones to be included in the mission, by placing a mission eligible true statement in the appropriate zone. He did this in an ambient pop zone. I have never seen this done before, and you didn't put it in your tutorial here, so is that not necessary? As I understand it, the missions will be chosen from a pool of 'unlawfuls' currently in the system so this makes that entry pointless, no?

I went through vanilla files and the only places I found "mission_eligible = true" was on patrol paths, and not pop/field zones. This is the excerpt from Lancer's tut I am talking about:

Code:

In the zone where your factions are listed, add the following commands above the faction and encounter entries, this will enable the faction(s) to participate in the missions

mission_type = unlawful, lawful
vignette_type = open
mission_eligible = True 

I don't see that 'eligible' requirement anywhere else, except for patrol paths, which I try to avoid anyway.

On the plus side, I learnt a few things from this, including what 'Open', 'Field', and 'Exclusion' are for (kinda self-explanatory really ), and learnt about how factions are 'pooled' and various things about placement of vignettes etc, so it's all good, if a little annoying

Posted on: 2009/2/9 11:13
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
So, wait. Is the problem solved, or not?

MK

Posted on: 2009/2/9 13:13
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Nope.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 13:30
Just can't stay away
From Virginia
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
Senior Members
All of you assumptions are correct. For a standard lawful base, there is no need for the mission_type line if against unlawfuls.

Have you substituted known factions in your system ini yet? Very easy to test and will tell you if the problem is with the two factions (nomads and order) or mission coding.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 17:40
(1) 2 3 4 »