Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +5€

Current balance: -65€
(last updated 10/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 39 users playing Freelancer on 42 servers.
November. 21, 2019

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

Can't get Read Only changed in Windows 7
Just popping in
From Finland
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry Friends, if I'm repeating something, I tried to look for answers here and through Google. I also feel bad about not being very active within Freelancer.

Anyway, I went over to Windows 7, and I can't turn the Freelancer files from Read Only to files I can manage, even if I'm logged as Administrator.

Thought someone here might have had some problems like this, thus the courage to ask.

Cheerio-o-oh.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 17:43
Re: Can't get Read Only changed in Windows 7
Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Where's Freelancer installed?

If it's program files, moving to somewhere else saves you a lot of grief. Maybe put it in games, documents, wherever you like really, so long as it isn't in Program Files. xD

Posted on: 2011/6/23 17:45
Just popping in
From Finland
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your reply Bobthemanofsteel , but I managed to find an answer, at last. Not the one I would mostly have wanted, since I would have preferred a pure Windows one. But still, it seems to work, and it might be helpful for others too, fighting with some problems in this area --- Windows 7 seems to have a paranoid headache with the Administrator part: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/ ... rship-shortcut.html?ltr=T

Otherwise a good OS, probably the best Microsoft produced.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 18:25
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
I'm betting that you'll need to install FL as administrator and do what you're doing from an administrator account.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 19:19
Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy a car...

Group:
Registered Users
If you installed it to x86 you cant edit the files even as an admin. I always instal Freelancer to my desktop.

Windows 7 has TrustInstaller that will stop you from changing things even as an Admin.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 21:18
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members

Win7Pro_64bit, sp1
Freelancer installed as administrator and run as administrator from an administrator account.
UAC turned off.

Works fine for me.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 22:18
Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy a car...
Just can't stay away
From Bay Area, CA, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
UAC for the lose. Seriously, turn that crap off.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 22:49
"Before I start, I'd like to apologize from all my heart in front of everybody for all the bad things I've done before posting this thread. (Sizer, I'll ALWAYS hate you)" - TheDVDMan
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
UAC is crap... but windows 7 still has permission generals even w/ access controls set to bare minimum.. countless times I've been unable to save something to my desktop or my documents (which should be user owned) and I get a permissions error to let me know. Many times I've gone through the properties of my folders, changed the owner and permissions to my administrator login... now that they're still owned by my admin login, I still get issues from time to time (but not always).. I understand it's actually a bug in Windows7.

As for the best OS MS put out... aside from DoS, I'd have to say Windows 2000 hands down... too bad it doesn't support much gaming any more.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 11:07
Home away from home
From P.R.C
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Quote:

Preacher_Trade wrote:
Sorry Friends, if I'm repeating something, I tried to look for answers here and through Google. I also feel bad about not being very active within Freelancer.

Anyway, I went over to Windows 7, and I can't turn the Freelancer files from Read Only to files I can manage, even if I'm logged as Administrator.

Thought someone here might have had some problems like this, thus the courage to ask.

Cheerio-o-oh.

Don't install Freelancer in C: or your Boot Drive(Where your OS installed in).

If you already did that, that's fine, copy game file out and paste it in other partition, then you will able to R/W all new duplicated files.

About UAC, you don't really have to disabled it. I'm using Freelancer and Freelancer Mod Manager and even other modding tool on a Win 7 64bit Version, all works fine.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 11:28
Open in new window
Sorry for my poor english...