Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +165€

Current balance: 105€
(last updated 02/2021)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 94 users playing Freelancer on 39 servers.
April. 17, 2021

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

« 1 (2)

Re: Skype being bought by M$
Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chips wrote:
I don't get why it's a sinking ship, or why you are suddenly looking for alternatives?

Like you mentioned, the only ones with a strong reaction to this are those running Skype on non-Windows machines.

Microsoft is unlikely to kill support for Linux/Mac while it can still make money off of it. If those platforms become unprofitable, then yes, of course they're going to pull support.

The minimal support they get now, however (I believe Linux is about three version behind Windows?), suggests that Skype has already worked out that the profit to be had outside of Windows is minimal, and having themselves absorbed into the company that allows them to make profit seems to be a sound business move. They keep their jobs, and Microsoft reaps the benefits of having a highly successful VoIP and IM client on it's belt.

Really, in the end, it's easily compared to the gaming industry. A vast majority of developers don't bother to make their games compatible on other OS platforms, and when they do it's generally as an afterthought. The reason is simple; they stand to make a much bigger profit out of Windows.

Now, what would be ideal for everyone, would be an open source VoIP and IM program that is backed by enough advertising to make it mainstream.
But, well... Open Source and advertising don't exactly go hand in hand.

In conclusion; Suck it up, until secondary Operating Systems become just as popular as Windows, this is going to keep happening. And when you're using programs mad by corporate entities, there aint squat you can do about it.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 4:06
Just can't stay away
From Bay Area, CA, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Just for you cross platform worriers, MS and Skype held a press conference, stating that they'd actually expand upon cross platform support. So there.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 5:06
"Before I start, I'd like to apologize from all my heart in front of everybody for all the bad things I've done before posting this thread. (Sizer, I'll ALWAYS hate you)" - TheDVDMan
Starport Staff
From England
Group:
Registered Users
Starport Staff
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Sizer wrote:
Just for you cross platform worriers, MS and Skype held a press conference, stating that they'd actually expand upon cross platform support. So there.
I'll believe it when they go along with that.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 16:27
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Quote:

=Alex= wrote:
Quote:

Sizer wrote:
I'll believe it when they go along with that.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but I imagine that means more MS ads on Apple and Linux systems. >_>

Posted on: 2011/5/13 17:47
Open in new window
« 1 (2)