Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
34 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +0€

Current balance: 60€
(last updated 03/2020)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 53 users playing Freelancer on 44 servers.
May. 25, 2020
The Starport Forum Index > All Posts (darkone)

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

(1) 2 3 »

Re: [The Starport News]Server Switch & Site Direction

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
The dev for Shallow Space actually put me on to Discourse after I commented on his forum software. You can use categories if that's what you mean see it in action here: 'http://forums.shallow.space/categories'. I think it organizes well if you put the effort in, but how painful will it be migrating a large forum into it? So if you try it please let me know how the migration is

Really our sites are in niche areas and are focused in content so population will probably always be an issue. For instance on the avg day I get about 60-90 registered users to login per day. But at any given moment I have 100+ guests on the site at all times. I have been trying to figure out how do I get those lurkers to become users, contributors or even donators?

That's been the tough point for me because SSC tries to provide just general game information for anything and everything out there. So people can read that without logging in. But if I make it hard for people to get at the info I could push people away.

I do make people register to download, just because I don't have unlimited bandwidth. I don't know how much you pay in dedicated server fees but I pay about $50 a month for my VPS, dedicated server is even more through my provider so are you utilizing all the server that you need to have dedicated? I would go with a cheaper plan but I need the HD space for the download area.

But to get back to my point was that maybe looking over your threads and use SEO techniques to help classify your discussions better. Making sure the words MOD, PATCH, FL or Freelancer, etc are in the post titles (if it makes sense too) or at least in the body. Build internal links to related content on your site, google loves that. You are already on page 1 search results for 'freelancer mods' so you are already there... it's just how do you get more people to play freelancer?

Especially when SC arrives I think a lot of people will be very absorbed with that. And depending on the experience and if modding is good for SC will give FL scene more looks or less looks. I love freelancer myself, but I will be honest I haven't played it in a few years now, been so busy with all these games that come out I don't have time. And looking back the game is what 10+ yrs old now and still has a decent presence and its a shame MSoft never capitalized on that fan base.

As long as we can play FL people will have a need for a mod site and starport is the #1 mod site for FL. So your already getting it done. It's just how can you provide the same service that costs less for you or figure out how to get more people playing.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 21:12
SpaceSimCentral.com - Your Space Sim Gaming Community Resource
Topic | Forum

Re: [The Starport News]Server Switch & Site Direction

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry it has been a while since I have posted here last and I definitely know where w0dk4 is coming from. For those that don't know I am the admin of SSC and it's tough running these sorts of websites they are not huge money makers. Yeah I have VPS hosting and it runs me about $600 a year for it all (not too bad really) but that just means I have to make $600 in advertising which I usually do when I add the donations.

I think its all worth it because the games are a passion of mine so its worth the expense and my personal time. And it definitely takes time and as the Starport knows you need to be around for a while to get that name recognition.

Social media helps only a little in my experience. But you have to be active in posting to it for it to be effective and its like a full-time job and its a job you don't get paid for. So the motivation for social media isn't really there for me either. I don't advertise at all and all I try to do is just focus on the games and help out any developer I can and usually just word of mouth gets the traffic flowing.

SEO (ie word placement for titles is big) has helped a lot for getting SSC noticed and the use of tags when you can do it help get you noticed on the search engines.

For forum software, I use IP.Board... its ok and would like something more lightweight. But I am invested in IP.Board for now. But this forum software looks amazing http://www.discourse.org/ and is super fast and the SEO potential is amazing. It's just they don't have a converter yet for IP.Board. But you will need a VPS I think to run it unless your host allows Ruby/Rails based websites because you will need some extra software most general hosts don't carry by default. I know a few devs that are using this software and it is slick and its 100% free

If you need any help from me just ask away, I could always post something on the site that may send some freelancer fans your way. Or feel free to post in the FL area on SSC to bring people here for new mods and news.

We both know Star Citizen is going to be a huge game and I wasn't even going to bother trying to cover modding for it (I'll make a download area for it, that's about it) because I think it will be tough to pull the traffic away from the SC website when it comes to modding. That's just my opinion, this game is gonna have a huge following and it will be a tough fight to become the 'place' for modding or just plain information on SC thats not covered on the SC homepage.

Nothing wrong with more focus and I am sure there is current FL modders that will be SC modders that will bring traffic here if they post about their mods here exclusively. So as long as you have a good base of mod developers you should see the traffic pickup and all it takes is mod developers to post youtube videos and telling everyone to visit here and that should help a lot.

I will quit rambling. If you need anything from me just ask I will do what I can, space gaming websites have to stick together.

-D1-

Posted on: 2015/5/6 5:02
Topic | Forum

Re: FL Hack

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of good info on your site Adoxa. Thx.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 18:26
Topic | Forum

Re: does anybody have a copy of the fan site kit

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
If someone has the download and can point me to it, I can upload it to my file area for everyone. Or if someone has an account on SpaceSimCentral just upload it to the Freelancer area.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 18:17
Topic | Forum

Issues with bar and site outage

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Everyone

I have had the FCN bar on SSC for quite some time and I had to pull it off the other day because it made my site unusable for most members because the starport website outage.

Could there be a cached list that gets created and used when contact to the server is lost? Or maybe decrease the timeout for waiting for a reply to the server? Could there be a backup server?

I could probably help there depending on what is needed server wise.

Thanks

-D1-

Posted on: 2009/10/9 18:13
Topic | Forum

Space Sim Gaming Help

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Everyone

I need a little help from the community to help compile a list of links or just references to other space sim style projects so I can get them listed on my website Space Sim Central.

I have a fair amount of space sims, remakes, mod sites, mmos and indie games listed but could use a bit more help in finding more. This will be a great resource for everyone interested in space games in general. Any feedback on the list is welcomed to in the way of categorizing entries or how it's displayed. (SSC Links Area)

So if people can leave there feedback in this post http://www.spacesimcentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=680 it would be appreciated or just create your own. At SSC I am trying to cover the latest and most popular games in the space sim genre and hopefully create a nice hub for people to discuss all the games in general. I have also started a wiki that (in time) will document most of the space sims that have been created as well.

Thanks Everyone for the help and the feedback thus far on SSC.

-D1-

Posted on: 2009/4/26 14:38
Topic | Forum

Re: Now with 100% more Blog!

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Nice blog Why485 very cleanly done.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 13:51
Topic | Forum

Re: The end of the World ???

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
This is a good read about something bad that might happen soon

http://www.newscientist.com/article/m ... atastrophe.html?full=true

Posted on: 2009/4/1 18:33
Topic | Forum

Re: Burger King announcement

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
So how do you know if you got right handed Whooper instead

Posted on: 2009/4/1 18:26
Topic | Forum

Re: SP Freelancer Mods

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Add suggestion: Set up some parent categories in your DL area, for instance "Freelancer", as soon as you click at it the child categories will come visible

Little restriction of my mod but I have added tools and scripts section under each game mod section. Thanks for suggestion Bas.

Look forward to 58.64 of the order mod rsabatino.

Posted on: 2009/3/14 5:35
Topic | Forum

Re: SP Freelancer Mods

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I know it's OT but:
http://www.spacesimcentral.com/downloads.php?cat=3
You might want to add the unofficial 1.4 patch as well as the Quickfix (www.eoa.seriouszone.com for the last one)

For freespace 2 mods you can add some downloads from www.freespacemods.net

You may want to difference between Mods and Player/Modding tools

I was wondering if I should do that or not I will put in mod tools areas into each game mod download area it might just be easier to manage in the long run. Thx Bas.

Quote:

My Phoenix mod does SP but i think you already have that although there is a new version out now

I'll get this updated this weekend. Promise

Thanks Mr Ed on the nice list you have I will work on getting some descriptions and the mod so people have access to them. I know the biggest reason why was looking for these because I have read on other forums even moddb and people are asking for SP mods and people don't know how to find them. and like I stated before MP only mods die off if there server goes down and then you are really stuck unless you setup your own server.

Been busy but managing to keep things up to date. I know I am lacking on more of the FS2 mods and will remedy that soon. The news alone takes up a good portion of my time and my wiki. Have over 100 files in the download area now and I know I am not even close on some games for mods and tools. But I have time.... and a reminder to all people can upload there own mods as well feel free. And the system will even tell users when new uploads or edits to a download have happened so besides setting up the backend it takes care of itself.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 18:21
Topic | Forum

SP Freelancer Mods

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
I know they are out there and I know some MP packages have a SP gameplay as well I am trying to track them all down and get permission to host the downloads of them on my site. I am going after these first because these will run whether you have a server to connect to or not. And when servers go down that supports a mod that mod is no longer usable.

Just wanted to know if there was a list compiled out there somewhere?

Thx

-D1-

Posted on: 2009/3/13 15:38
Topic | Forum

Re: Space Sim Games Wiki

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
I have been plugging along nicely and have about 10-15 game pages done and will try to get a few done every week and maybe in a few months I will have all the games covered even if it is a brief description. But it is actually fun trying to track down info on some of these games never mind the screenshots and videos

If users request it I will give people access to update and add things like specifics for games. Right now my work only will consist of general info, links, downloads, screenshots and videos if available.

-D1-

Posted on: 2009/2/26 18:17
Topic | Forum

Re: STN DL Database service

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
I'll host everyone's mods if they want

I have plenty of space and bandwidth for now. If people give me permission I can upload the mods/files over time or people can upload them themselves all I ask is that they stick it in the right area and if I don't have a spot for the mod/file let me know and I will make the spot on the server.

-D1-

Posted on: 2009/2/26 17:33
Topic | Forum

Re: Space Sim Games Wiki

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

€h...were is freelancer in the wiki's game list? ^

How did I miss that one

Oh I don't doubt this will take me some time but with some feedback from the users and doing a few games a week it should be pretty populated by end of the summer. I didn't even know of any other wiki projects out there... I know I was creating this one mainly because I am saying SSC is a resource site so I need to have some basic info on most of the games out there and we'll see how far I get.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 18:05
Topic | Forum

Top Top
(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]