Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

sukothai, more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +165€

Current balance: 105€
(last updated 02/2021)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 79 users playing Freelancer on 39 servers.
April. 11, 2021
The Starport Forum Index > All Posts (SilentAssassin82)

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: So I started messing around in Unity
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Trusted Speciality Developers
Nice work Why, incase you're interested I actually went as far as getting a server and database running using a beta version of a network solution called SlimNet. Complete with login and char creation and so on. I had alot of the syncing done aswell like NPC paths and bullet hits stuff like that.

There was alot of other stuff aswell like radar, the guns following the mouse pointer, turret view and so on. I had the flight controls working pretty well, they did still need a fair bit of work though, there was some niggly things wrong with them, like engine kill messing up in some situations.

I did borrow some of the code from the one the Russian guy started.

I also had some other stuff working like system transitions, although that's all it was was going from one to another, no effects or transition sequences or anything.

Also had planets with gravitational pull and various other things.

I do still have all the files some where, let me know if you want them and i'll send them to you, you can use what you like or use none of it at all.

I had planned on continuing with it but just couldn't get the help and it's not really a one man project.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 8:32
Topic | Forum

Re: [almost resolved] Planet modding
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
if you're exporting them in CMP format, then you should try using the 3ds exporter and use vertex painting to apply the alpha channel to the clouds, then you might be able to use the glow maps. Dunno if it will work but it's just a suggestion.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 7:13
Topic | Forum

Re: Star Trek Online
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
It's a fun game, I personally hate the away missions but the space missions are pretty cool, I do agree the three end raids the STF missions could be better, or atleast some different missions. I like the customisation, that's pretty cool.

All in all i like the game.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 15:05
Topic | Forum

Re: Freelancer 2 (?)
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
I really don't agree about theObj->Sur converter. I hitboxed this with it and the hitbox is about as good as it gets. The rings you can fly through and so on. It did take a bit of tweaking though. but not too much.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j ... 2012-01-0801-21-29-09.jpg

Posted on: 2012/1/21 7:20
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

w0dk4 wrote:
Quote:

SilentAssassin82 wrote:
tbh. DX9 is all a space shooter needs, most of what's new in DX10/11 is stuff like water reflections, interactive water and so on. All stuff completly useless for a game that is entirely set in space.

Ohh Im not sure. The most important feature of DX11, tesselation, would be awesome because it allows almost unlimited detail for space ships. And since we dont have that much geometry in space, we can go in a lot of detail because we dont have to worry so much about terrain and stuff like that.

In any way, I think the problem with any FL2 is that everybody has a different vision of the game. You can see that with any "FL2" project, either the visions of the involved people clash or the involved people want to implement every feature they can think of and fail because of that.

I think Openlancer to this day still was the best and most advanced approach to a Freelancer 2, it died however.

Ah, I always thought you had tessellation in DX9, I just had a read up on it there though and DX11 will actually tessalate the meshes for you where as DX9 you actually have to have an already tessalated mesh for tessallation to work.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 10:50
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
tbh. DX9 is all a space shooter needs, most of what's new in DX10/11 is stuff like water reflections, interactive water and so on. All stuff completly useless for a game that is entirely set in space.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 8:38
Topic | Forum

Re: Ship Animations
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
The 3ds max exporter will do most of the revolution animations for you. You still have to add one of the scripts from another model though, basically any with a rev animation. You just have to change the part names in it.

Open in new window

I never got round to finishing the Pris animations since they are done a bit different.

You still have to add .rev to that end of the part to be animated.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 7:33
Topic | Forum

Re: Custom Ships and wireframes
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Ok this is completly my fault, god knows what was going on but for some reason it was all to do with the test model.

Even though the vert count was massively reduced the poly count remained the same. And obviously the verts where being generated on a per poly basis, doh thank god cause it was starting to piss me off if i'm honest.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 16:50
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, i know it could work with all the LODs in the same VMeshData. But that's what i meen, it's not writing the lower poly mesh into the VMeshData, it's duplicating the first LOD, you can tell just by the fact that the vert count for each mesh remains the same.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 15:35
Topic | Forum

Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
There is a problem with the LOD groups with the exporter right now, i noticed this about a week ago and have been trying to fix it since then with no luck at all.

Just by looking at the video again you should notice it yourself, there should be a new VMeshData for every LOD.

Each VMeshData should have less verts than the first, instead the exporter is writing the new LOD to the same VMeshData. Doubling the Meshes in it and also the verts.

Now I imagine this would be fine if it was actually writing the meshes with the lower poly and vert count to the VMeshData. But it isn't, it's duplicating the first LOD.

I thought at first it had somthing to do with the mesh splitting that i had added myself to the exporter or the rotation animation export. But i've reverted back to the original re-written version and it is the same deal.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 13:35
Topic | Forum

Re: CMPs with over 18 parts
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
the 3ds max exporter has no limit on the amount of mesh groups that can be exported.

Posted on: 2011/12/17 9:08
Topic | Forum

Re: .obj -> .sur converter
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Since there is no tool out there for other games which automatically builds a collision mesh I doubt you will get around building them yourself or accept the bigger file size. Or just use the outer convex hull.

Well there is somthing you can use out there. There is the Havok Content tooll for 3ds max that can specifically make collision meshes by wraping the meshes in your scene.

For 3ds again there is also the PhysX plugin, this does the same thing.

One is better than the other at making working meshes. And one is better because it will wrap the groups in your scene automatically. But the other one would wrap a 1 mesh round the whole model and the only way to get round this is by selecting each group individually and do it over and over.

Both tools work great though, it's what i use for making any hitbox for FL.

all you have to do is export the final product as a obj and run it through the converter.

Or maybe i am just misunderstanding the question?

Posted on: 2011/11/8 20:21
Topic | Forum

Re: Alucard's starsphere cube tutorial.
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
There's an easy way to render your cubic maps from a sphere in 3ds without having too much trouble aswell

You just add the texture you want cubed to a sphere in the middle of your scene. Add a box inside the sphere, you then add a reflect/refract map to it and render like in the video i've posted.

With the new exporter being able to export the Alpha values of the verts aswell you can add pretty much any texture to the 6 sides and even if they don't match. With a bit of vert painting in 3ds(you can find a million tutorials online about this in 3ds) You can blend the seems to look perfect.

Open in new window

I made a couple of errors at the end of this vid when i was opening the textures to view them but bah, can't be arse recording it again so tuff titties.

P.S The textures a shocker I know. But it was just as quick of an example as possible.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 14:32
Topic | Forum

Re: on the new Max CMP exporter plugin
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
You can also select the meshes to be grouped and when you group them the first time, you call the group lod* whatever. Then group again and name the component.

Root
-->lod0
-->Mesh
-->Mesh

And so on. Here's a video of what I mean. Basically there only has to be the one lod node for the entire group. Or how ever many lods there are, so if you have 2 lods there only needs to be the (component name => lod0 Meshes) then under the same (component name => lod1 meshes)

Open in new window

Root
-->lod0
-->Mesh
-->Mesh
-->lod1
-->Mesh
-->Mesh

EDIT:

The version on the repository hasn't been updated in a while. The plugin should split the meshes up by material ID now within thiere groups like in the video above. I dunno if the compiled version you are all using has the ability to do this, cause well I dunno who compiled it and where from. But basically the plugin can be a pain in the ass without it, unless you use a script to split the meshes up before you start grouping stuff. After you export your model if the meshes aint been split the textures will not show correctly.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 11:34
Topic | Forum

Re: Help needed!!
Not too shy to talk
From Glasgow, Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FriendlyFire wrote:
Ya, just remember most people aren't very familiar with recompiling sources and that finding Max SDKs is a real pain

This is true, but as far as I know there isn't a compiled dll of any version on the forge at all, other than the very first one that is very basic. So either way compilation is required.

But that wasn't my point even though it may have sounded like it. All I was meaning when I pointed it out, was so people who don't happen to have 2010/11 didn't get dishearted thinking it was only gonna work in those versions.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 17:29
Topic | Forum

Top Top
(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]