Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
42 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +25€

Current balance: -40€
(last updated 09/2020)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 39 users playing Freelancer on 43 servers.
September. 27, 2020
The Starport Forum Index > All Posts (Freestalker.fr)

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

(1) 2 3 4 ... 33 »

Multiple games/movies/series univers idea.
Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
I had an idea today !

If you want to make a mod with multiple games, I have an idea.

I will take Freelancer and Freespace 2 as example.

In fact the concept take shields as feature. This feature will force the player to use ships and weapons of the same game univers. Freelancer with Freelancer and Freespace 2 with Freespace 2.

Combined with specific weapon classes and type according to the game univers we can create shield and weapon types for each univers.

Freelancer weaps will have no effects on Freespace 2 shields.
Freespace 2 weaps will have no effects on Freelancer shields.

The result, if you want to fight against Freespace 2 ships with a Freelancer ship, you will not be able to do it, forcing you to buy a Freespace 2 ship with allocated weapon classes and shield type/classes. For example class 1 to 5 will be Freelancer weaps ans class 6 to 10 will be Freespace 2 weaps. It must be applied to the shield classes too to be consistant.

Freelancer's weap classes :
Class 1 = FL Class 1 and 2
Class 2 = FL Class 3 and 4
[...]
Class 5 = FL Class 9 and 10

Freespace 2's weap classes :
Class 6 = FS2 Class 1 and 2
Class 7 = FS2 Class 3 and 4
[...]
Class 10 = FS2 Class 9 and 10

Same with shields.

In terme of ship coding, just allocate class 1 to 5 shields and weaps for FL and class 6 to 10 for FS2.

The only thing that remains to do is to rename the weapon and shield classes.

This can be applied for other univers but I think there is a theorical limit of the number of univers you can add to your mod. Due to the fact there is a limit of 10 classes in FL.
The limit is 5 game/movie/series univers per mod.

For example
Class 1 shield = Fighter shield
Class 2 shield = Capital Ship Shields
Etc.

If you want to level the shield for specific ship classes just us the cargo hold size to limit the use of a specific shield.

For gunboats' shield a specific cargo hold.
For cruiser's shield a specific cargo hold that is too big for gunboats.
Etc.

Posted on: 8/25 11:29
Topic | Forum

Re: New Renderer (OpenGL 3.3)
Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
In fact I didn't lose any files thanks to the man who repaired my computer. In fact I will need to tidy up the source files folder. For some UI elements I redid them but for some I upscaled. I made the mod to be usable up to 4K or 8K.
I have some masters that aren't as big as my target specifications so I need to upscale them. It's the occasion to burn my CPU !
And Freelancer's UI resolution management is very odd some time for a big element on screen you have a tiny icon and vice versa, it's hard to have a clear image of how it will looks ingame.
I started working on it mid 2017.

I'm also using Meshlab's Twosteps smoothing to smooth the 3D models after subdividing them. Starlancer 3D models can be smoothed with it and every other games that has extremely low poly meshes.

Attach file:

jpg  Smoothed_Valkyrie.jpg (362.96 KB)
5161_5f204aec817e0.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 7/28 16:57
Topic | Forum

Re: OpenGL Rendering
Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
You understood well ! I'm just doing the kitbash and I will se how it look ingame after. You're write though, puting it in the 3D models is good. I will try to see if it's good enough.

Khed is far better than MS3D as you have complex polygone creation, pipe tool and lathe tool.

I would like to see your progress. Did you managed to remove bevels on texture or is it too hard ? I know how to remove lightings in textures but removing bevel is tough as High Pass alway does some ringing artifacts and make the textures blurrier at the same time of removing bevel. I tried to use selective gaussian blur and so on but it is hard. And also the settings aren't always the same. The shadows are also difficult to remove.

Simultaneously I do some HD UI textures. My computer has crashed at the end of 2019 and my CMP/3DS files are corrupted so I need to import all the current files I did before the crash. I did some mips to be used at different resolution. -_-

Attach file:

jpg  Rh_greeble_fight.khe_Screenshot_2.jpg (202.63 KB)
5161_5f1ef76271788.jpg 1728X988 px

Posted on: 7/27 16:49
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Hi there !

I did some progress with greebles.

I send you some Khed screens. I need some feedbacks to see if it looks good. The Br ones that I am working are nearely finished.

Attach file:

jpg  li_cap_greeble.khe_Screenshot.jpg (153.05 KB)
5161_5f1d9c45ebf3f.jpg 1728X988 px

jpg  BR_grible.khe_Screenshot.jpg (147.16 KB)
5161_5f1d9c5610539.jpg 1728X988 px

jpg  Rh_greeble_fight.khe_Screenshot.jpg (144.23 KB)
5161_5f1d9c68b096e.jpg 1728X988 px

Posted on: 7/26 16:10
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
In fact, its grEEbles, not gribles as I wrote... It's small 3D details, like pipes, etc. Like this or this.

What you did is promising ! I wait to see where you can go with your algorithm. Will there be some batch processing in it ?

Posted on: 3/28 16:31
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Nice ! I had the same idea but I used crazybump normal map generator and render the nrms in Paint.net but it was not good. Is there a way to have the detail removal without using normal maps ? It's just to see how effective it is.

BTW I think modelizing gribles would be good. I already started Bretonia capships. Then with station, importing original model and after place gribles, then remove station model, export grible. Add an hardpoint called HP_gribles to station CMP at the position 0;0;0. Make an equipment entry for gribles and finally add a code line in station loadout :
Code:
equip = "Station"_gribles, Hp_gribles

It can also be done for ships.

Do you think it's a good idea ?

Posted on: 3/21 12:02
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Sorry for double post but WOW ! Just WOW !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=548sCh0mMRc&feature=emb_title

Posted on: 3/13 17:25
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
I found this.

I tried but I don't know how to make it work. I think it can help to seperate heights and normals (not normal maps).

I tried to remove shadows and highlights with GIMP but the result was never good, as in the original shadow details are missed as you can see in Defender's texture. I had a converstation with somebody on GameUpscale Discord and he gave me some Imagemagicks .sh delight and deshadow scripts. It worked but there is a sort of bloom after applying them...

Posted on: 3/8 15:40
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
I have an idea too. Removing all bevel and shading.

Here is the principle :

Take a 3D model creator.
Create a plane.
Put a random normal map on the plane where some shapes are put, squares, triangles, etc.
Put a camera above the plane.
Add a light source.
Animate the light source to discribe a circle around the plane at different light elevation for exemple light elevation 0° then 10° and so on.
Take an uncompressed video of each light elevation.
After decompose the video(s) in PNG pictures.
Then with the same camera take a video of the same length without the normal map and decompose it in series of PNG pictures.
Put all normal map pics in lowres folder of AI upscale and put the not normal map pics in reference images of AI upscaler.
Finally, train and see the result on real images.

If it works, it would be nice. Because it could be applied to every game textures that has prerendered texture effects.

Posted on: 1/16 13:35
Topic | Forum

Re: Campaign with gunship/cruiser/battleship mod? Please help
Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
It reminds me of when I flew a Br Battleship in the second mission. I wanted to dock on the Li Dreadnought at the end of the mission, that was a total mess ! In the Equalizer mod I took a Br Destroyer and I wasn't able to dock on Pittsburgh due to dock size restriction...

It's not a good idea... But a scripted storyline mission that allow you to use moors instead of docking rings or bays can do the job but it's a hard task to do.

Posted on: 12/28 14:01
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
I have a fun fact about BC1 compression artifact removal.

When you use BC1_smooth2 and use misc the result is not that detailed, but when you use another BC1 removal then misc, it's over detailed.

BC1_smooth2 + Misc

BC1_take2 + Misc

It's rather strange.

Edit : Mixed BC1_smooth opacity 128 + BC1_take2 Background

Edit 2 : Fixed URL of "Edit"

Posted on: 12/1 14:41
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:

Schmackbolzen wrote:
You first need to undo the dds compression. The textures above are done with ESRGAN and pretrained models (two steps, undo dds first and then upscaling). There are quite extensive lists of models you can find on the net. I will try other networks next (e.g. the one you suggested), but the current results are quite impressive. There are tools for ESRGAN which allow alpha upscaling, although the one I tested (IEU) only worked for one texture, not for mass conversion. I did not have time yet to debug that.

Here is the texture upscaled with the same method used in the videos: http://www.flnu.net/downloads/liberty2_1024.png

I did not have any problems with cuda, everything worked fine. But the chip in my laptop is not that old (maxwell). You also could use cpu only, although that sadly is quite slow.

If you get better results, let me know!

I already used BC1_Smooth2 but the 1024 lost his tag while renaming. (Always disliked these artifacts...)

I just saw the alpha model option while I recovered IEU due to Windows update fail 2 weeks ago. I put the Skyrim one.

I added the PPON one to the Mediafire shared folder. I think edges sharpness are great but details are weird compared to ESRGAN 4xMisc. *_PPON is the right one.

What pretrained models did you use ?

Posted on: 2019/11/29 22:27
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Is it ESRGAN, PPON, or your own model ?

I tried Misc x4 pretrained model for ESRGAN and the result was kinda good. Then I tried PPON and for some details it's better than Misc x4. PPON can't support alpha channel so I need to extract alpha channel with GIMP.

On the one hand edit is better than upscale but on the other hand upscale helps a lot if you want the best accuracy as possible.

Here is a sample of liberty AI upscale I did. I warn you that I had to do 128x128 parts from 256x256 textures cause my computer isn't using CUDA cores and, as always, has outdated components... The window part has been done with PPON. liberty_256 is the original and 1024 is the Misc 4x one.

Posted on: 2019/11/29 11:46
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Hey !

I optimized the texture ! The result is shown on a box 3d model.

I think the color palette is better and specular map too but I can be fooled.

Attach file:

jpg  {2ACE8157-1BDB-4030-B2BC-3FC71F936964}.jpg (282.99 KB)
5161_5bd4576cb13d8.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/10/27 13:18
Topic | Forum

Just can't stay away
From France
Group:
Registered Users
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
I just used the color palette of the original texture but now I improved it. In fact the blurry texture come from the anisotropic filtering deactivated or the original model's UV, I think it's more UV related. I can send you the maps via PM. I used a 1024X1024 and I was very close to the model, I think the blur wouldn't be so visible ingame as the camera is more far than in the screenshot. Do you recommend to increase or decrease brightness on my spec map ?

@ Everybody : When I said "What do you think ?", I wanted some feedback of all the community not only Schmackbolzen because it's a good way to improve or confirm things.

Posted on: 2018/10/25 15:01
Topic | Forum

Top Top
(1) 2 3 4 ... 33 »

[Advanced Search]