Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
45 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 43

Kuze, FriendlyFire, more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +110€

Current balance: -105€
(last updated 02/2018)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 104 users playing Freelancer on 34 servers.
February. 19, 2018
The Starport Forum Index > All Posts (SWAT_OP-R8R)

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Re: Freelancer Gold Disc
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
lets just focus on that disc.... its golden

Posted on: 2/13 16:02
Topic | Forum

Re: 3D Model Showroom
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
dunno about the carrier but the M1 for sure
I think that all the small ships have been used while the bigger ones were not so easy to import... especially back when the creation of sur files was still a kind of art

Posted on: 2/13 15:54

Edited by SWAT_OP-R8R on 2018/2/13 16:01:23
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
I think that there is not a single X2 + X3 ship that isnt already in a FL mod.

Posted on: 2/13 14:27
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jefferson001 wrote:
Oookkkaaayyy.... Since I've shelled out for copyrights I'll just crawl back into my hole shaking my head. I'd point out that without a copyright Freelancer wouldn't have landed on the selves. Now in the US you have the IPCC to deal with. And in the US it is anything BUT automatic Except were single owed IP like artists and writers have. Otherwise for businesses wade through this if you have a couple of days and a law degree:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States

Good luck there. The process to file and receive a commercial copyright in the US costs thousands and can take up to a year. It's basically a patent processes for IP where it has to be proven you're not violating existing copyright. The process in 2003 for the game no doubt cost near 1 million US and teams of lawyers.
Welcome to the US of A. (Sigh)

Have you actually read the stuff you have linked to?

Let me quote from there...

Quote:

Copyright is automatically granted to the author of an original work (that otherwise meets the basic copyright requirements, discussed above). Registration is not necessary.

To avoid any further discussion about that.
International copyright laws state pretty much the same. It is pointless to cherrypick a country here.
It is also pointless to question if the copyright requirements applied... they did.
Its also not important if you are a private person or a company. If the creator does the work specifically for a company (with other words if the creator is an employee) then the author of the copyrighted material is the company.
Also for companies the copyright is applied automatically.
The registration of a copyright serves the purpose to defend this copyright infront of a court.
Not registering a copyright does not mean that there is no copyright... it just means that at this point of time you just dont have an intention to file a lawsuit. Its just burocracy.
You can even register a copyright after a copyright violation has been done (thats because the copyright always existed since the creation of the IP).
So with other words... to assume that there ever was a time where Freelancer was not copyrighted is wrong. The final product even has a copyright registration so every early version (no matter if a review version or a beta version) is copyrighted aswell (even without a copyright mark).

A company I was working for went through such a copyright violation mess and won after proving to be the copyright owner eventhough there originally was no copyright registration.

But I dont want to argue with you... if you think that stuff in the U.S. sucks I will nod and agree with you.

Posted on: 2/13 13:48

Edited by SWAT_OP-R8R on 2018/2/13 14:13:41
Edited by SWAT_OP-R8R on 2018/2/13 14:19:58
Edited by SWAT_OP-R8R on 2018/2/13 14:26:23
Edited by SWAT_OP-R8R on 2018/2/13 14:30:25
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
irrelevant when it was copyrighted
A copyright is an automatic international right to protect intellectual property. The copyright registration is just there to clearly identify the copyright owner. That however, that does not mean everything without copyright registration is not copyrighted.

With other words... there never was a not copyrighted version of the game.

Posted on: 2/12 9:02
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
whats the point if this is just the normal version?

Posted on: 2/11 10:04
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Not a beta.

Posted on: 2/8 9:14
Topic | Forum

Re: OpenGL Rendering
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
A picture is worth a thousand words... and when garfield approves something then it must be fine lasagne.

Posted on: 1/30 20:08
Topic | Forum

Re: OpenGL Rendering
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

Posted on: 1/30 13:11
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Keep in mind that this is an old site for an old game and that it probably not worth investing into new software for the few regulary users.

Posted on: 1/30 11:47
Topic | Forum

Re: Jefferson's 3D Modeling Tips for Freelancer
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jefferson001 wrote:
Might Give Mod Developers: insomnia, hives, sudden irate behavior, pimples, spasms, burning itch, rash, simultaneous diarrhea and constipation

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted on: 1/29 16:40
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
just put it into the actual game and we will see what it really looks like

Posted on: 1/23 18:40
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Ive never said that I would raise the poly count. Dunno why you see my question as a confirmation of your point. There are good reasons why raising the poly count might be a good idea... but to be honest I dont really want to discuss this any further.

My point here is that you could put your new changed geometry, put it into the game and then ask players "what has changed?". I am convinced that the overwhelming majority of players wouldnt be able to give you an answer.

When I do modding then I create stuff that players notice and can enjoy. The players experience has priority over everything else. Unnoticable cleanups do not belong to my priorities (unless of course they help me during the modding process).
My time is to precious to waste it with unimportant details that players wouldnt even recognize.

If you add a tower and a sign stating "Welcome to Toledo - Nomads stay out"... that would catch the players attention.
Or if you take an existing station model and add further details to it... that would make a difference (and thats btw. a good reason to increase the polygon number).

However, that is just my opinion and you are free to have your own.
When you have created your mod we will see how players will react to it.

And btw. it is nice that you put up rendered images but in the end the only thing that matters is how it does look like in the FL game engine.

Posted on: 1/23 13:46
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
And why do you think dropping the poly count of a 15 year old game makes any sense?

Its not that there are any players around with hardware that couldnt handle the original.
Players in first place are interested in how stuff looks. Not in stuff they cant see and at the same time has absolutely no impact on their game experience.

Posted on: 1/23 9:36
Topic | Forum

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
... and that one looks better than the original?

Dont get me wrong here.
You might have experience with modeling and textures dating back even before FL was a thing (at least thats what Ive read multiple times today), but you also should keep in mind that we are no dumbasses either.
Some of us have been active FL modders from day one. Thats ~15 years of experience in which we have tried to improve the game as much as possible (and I guess that we did a very good job so far).
Your enthusiasm definitely is refreshing but at times you sound like the guy that wants to teach us how to finally do it right.
You are very focused on the DTX5 NM stuff, probably because you see a benefit in it. Great.
We (or better I -> because I can not speak for the others) see the situation a bit different.
1. the normal map stuff is currently not supported by FL
2. even with the wrappers I do not know how they will deal with the data... maybe the input of the NM data is done in a completely different way -> since the wrapper has not been release yet I dont have such specific information
3. DTX5 (with NM or without) is not always the best way to use textures in FL. By my 15 years of experience with FL I am very sure that DTX1 or DTX3 have some advantages over DTX5. Sometimes I would even go with uncompressed TGA. In my eyes there is no ultimate DTX5 solution.
4. File sizes matter (especially on mod which already have multiple GB of data).
5. compression artifacts or not... in most cases the average user wouldnt even notice that. This whole upscaling stuff in my eyes wont significantly improve the quality (at least not in a way the players would notice).
6. there are other ways to improve the look of textures in FL way beyond what upscaling could do. (if these ways even work on the upcoming wrapper is unknown to me).

What I am trying to tell you is that we also have alot of experience, expecially with FL and that there is no "best" solution.
Modding FL requires to make decisions which solution works best in specific situations.

I say that because I am not just a modeler or a guy that knows how to work with textures... I am an allrounder who has done pretty much everything from creating tools over modeling, texturing and scripting.
FL modding is alot more complex than you might think. The impact of texture on the game also is more diverse than you currently seem to have in mind.

At this point I would simply claim that your DTX5NM has no positive impact on vanilla FL and 99% of its mods simply for the fact that the NM data isnt even used by FL.
Yes, you can add that data if you want. You can also put in a jpg or a gif into the utf containers. That however does not mean FL can read that data.
This might change with the new wrapper... or it might not change.
So far I havent read anything about how NM data will be read by the wrapper. Maybe you have information we others dont have... dunno.
I also have no information if that wrapper has any side effects.
When Freeworlds was released it certainly looked good for that Star Wars environment but it also changed how FL specific graphics worked... up to the point where some FL related settings were no longer possible.
The new wrapper might be different... but i dont really know about that yet.
There are way too many questionmarks for me to predict how stuff will work.

Posted on: 1/22 11:27

Edited by SWAT_OP-R8R on 2018/1/22 11:44:07
Topic | Forum

Top Top
(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]