Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Random Image
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +10€

Current balance: -70€
(last updated 08/2019)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 61 users playing Freelancer on 31 servers.
August. 17, 2019
The Starport Forum Index > All Posts (Paranoid)

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Ship Shaking
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Well, then I actually will have to make things smaller. Weird though, that the FL-Developers didn't fix a bug which is mostly clearly visible in cockpit view.

Thanks for the help though
Will concentrate on modelling now, making the system(s) smaller shouldn't take much time.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 9:46
Topic | Forum

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
After a long time of being rather inactive in Freelancer Modding due to RL, I finally came back to my old problem.

I made one rather interesting discovery:
- tested ship shaking being ~470k away from the center, with a Nav Map Cale of 0.2 --> heavily recognizable
- tested ship shaking 40k ayway from the center with a nav map scale of 0.8. Nothing else changed in the system (still a station 450k away from center etc.) --> ship shaking stays noticeable
Has this anything to do with the NavMapScale being below 1.0?

And now the most important question: Are there any possibilities to optimize the game's math? My knowledge in programming is rextricted, but I could imagine such optimisation would be possible if the functions Freelancer asks for are kept in some way.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 23:03
Topic | Forum

Re: Changing effect of thruster
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
If you are in engine kill and enable your thruster, your engine 'grows' from the (in enginekill normal) 0 speed flame to the flame the engine would normally show up at speed 80. Couldn't this effect be used?

Posted on: 2009/1/28 22:33
Topic | Forum

Re: Starsphere
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I will try all your ideas and tell when I found one fixing the problem ;D
Thx for all the help.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 8:42
Topic | Forum

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
It seems to be easier to play Freelancer than to mod it, still got no clue whats wrong with my selfmade-cmp.
I though noticed some differences in the utf.

Open in new window
left --> standard br_01 starsphere, background texture changed | right --> selfmade cmp

Here is what''s visible ingame (notice the tiling =/):
Open in new window

and when I put the custom one up:
Open in new window

Both use the same texture file.
Is there any step by step tutorial that would explain the cmps structure, or could anybody help me with the whole thing.
I just don''t know what to test anymore, already tried to change the materials type, to add a cons node in the cmpd, neither worked.

*Much to learn I have*

Posted on: 2008/10/21 12:38
Topic | Forum

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Sry for doublepost, but I can't really solve my problem.
I either need to know how I can assign the material to the sphere being visible in the inside in milkshape or how to turn off texture tiling in the cmp.

Thx for the help received till now, at least I experienced my first custom starspheres, even if they didn't meet my expectattions due to the tiling.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 22:49
Topic | Forum

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I was succesful in assigning the texture to an existing starsphere, deleting all other meshes and textures.
The only problem I got now is, that on the standard mesh, the texture is tiled, which I don't really like.

Will look if there's any solution, any self-made sphere in milkshape doesn't show the texture in the inside.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 11:59
Topic | Forum

Starsphere
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I was just making a starsphere (simple sphere with a custom texture), exporting it to cmp and tried to view it ingame.
HardpointCMP views it properly, but ingame, the texture isn't visible. So now I got two question:
1- Does a starsphere has to have a certain size?
2- May that bug be related to the faces normals? Can I make the cmp show the texture on both sides of the faces?

Thx for any help in advance - I searched quite long for any existing thread, but all I saw was related to editing the existing starspheres.

Posted on: 2008/10/17 20:32
Topic | Forum

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Is it possible to write a programm that detects where the Freelancer.exe calls the D3DX routine (D3DXQuaternionRotationYawPitchRoll) for the camera?
If I understood you right, you would just have to add that normalization after this point.

Thank you for making this point clear to me anyways

Posted on: 2008/10/14 8:37
Topic | Forum

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I'm totally new to prgramming, but I will try to learn some in my holidays.

I'm just resizing, I post my results here after I tried. Btw, is there a way to rename the units for distance in Game?
13K would just sound such small

/edit: Just tried it ... would be in general possible, but it would take very much time to resize everything needed, besides the bugs that happen to appear resizing pieces from vanilla FL.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 22:49
Topic | Forum

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
If this bug is related to the variable coordinates of the Ship, would it be possible to extent this variable with some more internal decimal places?

I just thought about scaling it all down, but if I keep the proportions and the shaking is really related to the ship's postion, it would just continue to do so, as you would see everything larger, therefore also the more little inacurracies invisible at present scale.

If there's a standard size for the systems in FL, like 100*100 K, it would be easier. I'll try to investigate into both options.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 21:03
Topic | Forum

Ship Shaking
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
I just experienced the bug that my ship starts to shake when I get to far away from the center of the map.
Is this statement
Quote:

No, I think the ship shaking is something that is inherent to the way Freelancer is built. My guess is that there is some floating point error in the updating of the ship''s location as it moves. Because of the newtonian physics of the FL engine, slowing down to a complete stop from either linear or angular motion will take literally infinite time, so the shaking continues for quite a while after the ship appears to be stopped. However, since the shaking does stop at some point, it also appears that there is some cutoff that will set the ship''s movement speed to zero once it falls below a certain point. If you could find that cutoff value, you could possibly try to increase it, which would cause the ship to stop shaking earlier when it isn''t supposed to be moving; however, this would not do anything for shaking while the ship is in motion. Offhand I don''t believe a real solution exists beyond keeping the size of the solar system low enough that you don''t notice the shakes.

still up-to-date?

If so, there would be no way to build my mod as I wanted.
If I'd just size down all the ships and the values for engine, it'd be the same problem, as the now invisible shakes the ship experiences near the center of the map would then be noticeable due to the smaller proportions.

I originally planned to do some really huge systems, I already got a planet with 260k diameter, being about 500k away from the sun - which looks really great

Thx for any help,
Paranoid

Posted on: 2008/10/12 13:27
Topic | Forum

Re: [General Tutorials] Giant Suns
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Worked after all.
Thank you for your help

Posted on: 2008/10/11 9:31
Topic | Forum

Re: [General Tutorials] Giant Suns
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
I would like to know where I can change the LOD Values for Suns.
When I get to distant too my newly created sun with 70k diameter, that means when I get away more than 200k, the sun's not visible properly anymore:
Open in new window
thats what it should look like

Open in new window
thats what it does look like from greater distances

Posted on: 2008/10/10 21:17
Topic | Forum

Top Top

[Advanced Search]