- Batts: Shield batteries; used to regenerate a ship's shield instantaneously.
- Bots: Nanobots; used to regenerate a ship's hull integrity instantaneously.
- CB: Cannonball; the most damaging non-tracking missile in Freelancer.
- Client: Refers to what users run while playing the game (Freelancer.exe). It is the game itself.
- E-Kill: Engine kill; refers to a specific key which completely cuts off a ship's engine while leaving it drifting in space. In engine kill mode, the ship will continue moving in the same direction even if the ship is turned to face somewhere else; it will slow down over time.
- Fluff: Lore; refers to the background story elements that compose the game's setting.
- FL: short name for FreeLancer.
- GLS: Global List Server; the server that takes data from all existing and online Freelancer servers and lists them so a player can see them when using the Internet servers list. See GLS.
- Lag: Standard computer network term. See Wikipedia's entry on Lag.
- Mod/Modding: Short for "modification"; refers to an alteration of the game's data and logic files which modify its behavior, content and general appearance into something else.
- MP: Multiplayer; see Multiplayer.
- Nomies: Nomads; the main enemy in the storyline.
- PvP : Player versus Player; refers to combat between two or more players.
- Red Lag: See Lag in this glossary for more information. "Red" means the lag is severe and points to the color of the lag notification icon in the game.
- RP : Roleplay(ing); the act of playing a role, usually including writing fictional stories on forums and/or interacting with other players while in a role on a server.
- SP: Singleplayer or Server Police; see SP.
- Valk: Valkyrie; one of the Rheinland ships in the game.
- Vanilla: Refers to the unmodified, out-of-the-box experience, including its lore, gameplay and features.
- Xfer: Transfer; refers to two players engaging in an exchange of goods through the appropriate dialog. Often also refers to one player requiring help to transfer goods between two of his/her own characters.
- Yellow Lag: See Lag in this glossary for more information. "Yellow" means the lag is moderate and points to the color of the lag notification icon in the game.