Freelancer Community Network
Reminder: Internet Explorer 6 or below are NOT supported.
HomeHome
ForumForum
WikiWiki
DownloadsDownloads
ForgeForge
Multiplayer Connection Tutorial
Collapse/Expand Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Collapse/Expand Chat
Collapse/Expand Who's Online
30 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...
Collapse/Expand Donations
Monthly costs: -30€
Income (ads): +5€
Donations (last month): +10€

Current balance: -300€
(last updated 11/2017)

Please make a donation if you want to help keeping The-Starport online:

Bitcoin address:
Thanks!
Collapse/Expand Links
Collapse/Expand Advertisement
There are currently 43 users playing Freelancer on 33 servers.
November. 24, 2017

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

(1) 2 »

All Freelancer Ship/Weapon Models in Unity
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
A few days ago I figured out a pretty good and efficient pipeline for exporting Freelancer models. What started with just a handful of my favorite ships blew up into my exporting every ship, weapon, and turret over the last few days. I kinda got carried away.

The especially interesting thing to note is that Freelancer's material colors were preserved. The game makes heavy use of re-using textures, and it added variety and color to the ships by simply re-coloring them. The Bretonian ships in particular make heavy use of this. Here's a Bretonian Battleship with and without any of its material colors. The last time I exported some Freelancer models, and the reason I was curious to try this again, is because all those material colors were lost and things looked decidedly more boring than they should have.

I'm sure many of the experienced modders already know this, but something else pretty cool is the huge number of unused weapon and missile models. There's a ton of them. I really wonder why so many of them went unused.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 16:51
Open in new window
Re: All Freelancer Ship/Weapon Models in Unity

Group:
Registered Users
Great job on that! Seems like you're one big step closer to migrating Freelancer into Unity.
Personally, I wouldn't choose Unity for a game that should look serious, mainly because the engine's shadowing makes everything look a little cartoon-ish. Nevertheless, I do believe Freelancer deserves to be remastered in a modern game engine, even though Micro$oft still own the rights

There's quite an elaborate background to the unused models, but the bottom line is M$ held DA under a very tight schedule and they had to cut A WHOLE LOT of the game, including features we now see in popular mods ironically. But we should be glad that we got a Sirius Sector rather than the originally planned single system. The original game was meant to focus more on combat (e.g. weapon mods, a larger variety of weapon types, armor upgrades) rather than a vast universe to explore. Something like Borderlands with spaceships.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 21:30
Just can't stay away
From Trade Lane Watching
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Nice work, as always.

Posted on: 2016/3/20 11:30
Open in new window
Freelancer, 134 years old and still playing the game.

Is Juni here?
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Another snippet of messing around.

I get a real kick out writing light related things in Unity so I decided to write some simple position light code that can get re-used for a basically anything with a light flare.

The whole thing works based on a custom quad based GameObject. The quad rotates to face the camera like any other sprite, but there’s an offset that you can now enter which allows it to pass in front of geometry as needed. This prevents the ugly scenario where a quad is clipping through some really key geometry.

The quad also shrinks in size based on a specified max angle so that for directional light situations, the light is difficult to see unless you’re looking down it. This is especially useful for spotlights.

These lights can be set to blink with three parameters: Duration, ramp time, and delay. Duration is how long a light holds its max size at the blink, ramp time is how long it takes to get to that max value, and delay is how long between each successive blink. Using this allows you to create flashing strobe lights (not in the video) or slow fading pulsing lights (in the video).

Lights can be set to automatically generate a physical light so that they can cast light. The light is automatically handled and reflects any blinking that the light might be doing.

Finally, the lights scale with distance (up to a point) so that you can see them far away. The headlight in particular, due to its size, is extremely visible from far away.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 1:41
Open in new window
Home away from home
From Somewhere at Moscow
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Huh. I thought it is just 3D viewer by Unity.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 0:34
Open Sirius Mod
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Quote:

HeIIoween wrote:
Huh. I thought it is just 3D viewer by Unity.

You can do damn near anything in Unity given enough motivation.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/3/26 2:19
Open in new window
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
he is right, there is only little you cant do in unity.

Ive just started working again on a Unity project with similar goal. My priority was just working on a functional UI that can be used with ease throughout the entire game and a modular structure that I can use for future assets.
I have flight controls, weapon controls (guns + guided missiles), targeting... etc on a somewhat older project and will eventually merge it when I start working on system layouts.
http://swat-portal.com/portal/continuum/webplayertest.html

Like Why said... its just a matter of motivation.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 11:41
Home away from home
From Somewhere at Moscow
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Quote:
There's a ton of them. I really wonder why so many of them went unused.

Because of multiple hpFire

Saw you video at youtube - cool!
Vanilla one to one but with more realistic distances.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 5:44
Open Sirius Mod
Just can't stay away
From Trade Lane Watching
Group:
Registered Users
FLServer Admins
$$$ Supporters $$$
Senior Members
Both are looking good.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 17:44
Open in new window
Freelancer, 134 years old and still playing the game.

Is Juni here?
Home away from home
From Wales
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
They look really old now don't they, like lego bricks in space. I haven't played in a couple of years because I don't want to spoil the memory of the game. Maybe if I could play it on a mobile phone or something with similarly small sized screen I wouldn't notice how basic everything looks, but I'm on a 32" screen these days and they look like something out of minecraft

You just mucking about or is this going somewhere? I've long hoped that somehow there would be an overhaul of the visuals.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 12:26
Just can't stay away
From Romania
Group:
Registered Users
The Freeworld mod guys promised some years back that overhaul if i remember right, but they changed their mind i think, you see even the bread costs...

Posted on: 2016/4/3 15:36
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
Quote:

Timmy51m wrote:
They look really old now don't they, like lego bricks in space. I haven't played in a couple of years because I don't want to spoil the memory of the game. Maybe if I could play it on a mobile phone or something with similarly small sized screen I wouldn't notice how basic everything looks, but I'm on a 32" screen these days and they look like something out of minecraft

You just mucking about or is this going somewhere? I've long hoped that somehow there would be an overhaul of the visuals.

Just messing around. I don't think there's really much you can do to the models/texture to improve them considering how they were made. You'd probably have to remodel/retexture them from scratch to really create something that's a big improvement. Even then, the designs themselves were created around the poly/material limitations they had, so it'd take some real creative talent to spruce them up while still keeping the same overall designs.

I'm just messing around. I'm not working on remaking the game or anything because that would be silly.

I've always wanted to have a catalog of all the Freelancer models. The handful of the ones I had from before are in awkward formats and don't look as good as ingame due to material issues. With the new method, I can get them exported fairly painlessly and with their material colors intact.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/4/3 19:07
Open in new window
Starport Admin
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Quote:

cata123 wrote:
The Freeworld mod guys promised some years back that overhaul if i remember right, but they changed their mind i think, you see even the bread costs...

No we didn't. We even said that vanilla Freelancer's stuff would be hard/impossible to use with our stuff for various reasons.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 16:18
"Cynicism is not realistic and tough. It's unrealistic and kind of cowardly because it means you don't have to try."
-Peggy Noonan
Just can't stay away
From Romania
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FriendlyFire wrote:
Quote:

cata123 wrote:

No we didn't. We even said that vanilla Freelancer's stuff would be hard/impossible to use with our stuff for various reasons.

Well nothing is hard/impossible but we understand the situation

Posted on: 2016/4/8 15:46
Home away from home
From Wales
Group:
Registered Users
Senior Members
That's kinda what I thought WHY, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig... a fitting expression I think. So many space games to get your fix on now that it's back in fashion, this one has to get swept under the carpet at some point.

FW:TOW, oh man I can't believe you guys are still working away on that, I was just looking back at some of the old announcements Sushi made 5 years ago plus, where you were hoping to have it out by that Christmas. How's about this Christmas? Bet you didn't think it was going to be a lifetimes work. That's some commitment. Wonder how Sushi is anyway, he was a nice chap.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 2:44
(1) 2 »